Thursday, April 26, 2018

Mapping Progress

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some minor progress I've made in mapping of late.

I think you'll all recall my Mighty Empires campaign.


Monfel is the area I want to map more closely to give more fluff to the Bretonnian army I've been making for the OWAC.

One of the main issues I was having was how to get my head around the scale. Mighty Empires makes things seem pretty big and I thought that maybe each ME tile represented 250 - 300 miles if we think about an army moving approximately 10 mile per day. This makes these territories absolutely huge. The Adventurer Conqueror King system is based around 24 and 6 mile hexes so I was trying to figure out how to glom on to that.


I finally figured it out. Each one of my Mighty Empires hexes would be 96 miles, four 24 mile hexex across. It then dovetails neatly with the ACKS 4 to 1 hex map. Of course they didn't have the hexes oriented the way I wanted, so I had to make the above hex grid after much trial and error.


I had to blow up my original hand drawn map about 400% to get it to roughly fit my new grid. I'm trying out some things , hence the notations, but I think I'll leave the terrain as is and only start adding sub hex features on the next level down.

I intend to use Welsh Pipers guide to help with that some. I used Omni Calculator to help me get my head around the area of a 96 mile across hex. This list of Countries by land area is also helpful in collecting ones thoughts.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Thanks for looking.

3 comments: