Wednesday, November 29, 2017

eBay mishaps - do your research

Hi All,

  I can't remember why exactly, but I did a search for the Slann Mage Priest and found one that actually seemed like a good deal. So I put in a bid and won. As per usual, I didn't look carefully enough at the picture or do my research to see if it was complete. I never learn.


  What's wrong with this picture? Well, the banner poles and horns are missing from the palanquin, the metal arms for the Saurus bearers are missing and in their place are only two plastic arms. I would need four. To top it off, it's been slathered in epoxy, oh and the Stegadon skull backrest is on backwards. So yeah, not really a bargain.

  So I did what  should have done in the first place, and went to solegends.com 


So here's all the stuff it should have. Armed with this information I went back to eBay.


Somehow I found this one I had not seen before. Appears complete and a much more reasonable price than the $80 I had been seeing it for. Free shipping too.

Anyway, I'm impulsive and dumb. Happy Holidays.

Addendum:

In my haste to publish I forgot to mention a link I found for making your own pseudo Slann Mage Priest. You can find it on Jon's Wargames Minis here. He used the Gaspez Arts Fantasy Football Slann coach and some TAG Aztecs as bearers. A quite convincing substitute in my opinion. That's all.

12 comments:

  1. Sean - we could all run a second Blog off our evilBay adventures! I'm currently watching the tracking of my parcel back to France - from whence it came - despite the fact it was never delivered, nor even a delivery attempted as the tracking page is happy to admit! DPD? DPnon-D!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, I have only, thus far, lost one eBay purchase in the mail. Knock on wood. But yes, I usually leave out my mundane everyday oopsies on eBay. I'm developing a collection of models I had to buy twice though.

      Delete
  2. I have done something similar on several occasions with eBay. I have never had a package being delivered to me go missing but I have had three go missing that I have sent out. One by a very unscrupulous buyer. I did a little research on the buyer and complained about him to eBay and his ID disappeared very quickly after that. Unfortunately Paypal had already ruled in his favor and returned his funds and I was out 3 plastic aircraft kits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kris, that sounds like a real bummer. I have never sold anything on eBay. The closest I came was handling the Oldhammer USA T-shirts and I only had to eat a couple of those.

      Delete
  3. I see I'm not the only one who does boneheaded stuff like this occasionally. Usually mine happen in the wee small hours when I can't sleep and my eye for detail loses out to my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Millsy, yeah impulse buying from the phone can be problematic. My eyes are not as good as they used to be.

      Delete
  4. I, too, often let excitement and enthusiasm get the better of me and forget to read the ever-increasing litany of fine print on listings. My self-imposed buying restriction has drastically cut down my impulsive evilbay purchases, though. Even more surprising is the fact that I have kept to it, despite the ever-present temptation of acquiring more shinies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anthony. I probably should put an embargo on spending. I need to do an inventory of my figs, but I'm a tad apprehensive.

      Delete
  5. HI

    The item in the listing is clearly not the item you got. Send it back and start a
    comment with E-bay/Paypal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, no the two pictures are from completely different listings. I just didn't capture a photo of the listing for the one I already received. I'd just be a jerk if I returned the item, I'm pretty sure the photo was accurate. I just fixated on the price and not what was actually for sale.

      Delete
  6. I made a similar impulse purchase (Not hobby related) recently and have regretted it muchly. -__-

    Am sure you could make the best of this bag of crap though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dai, yeah I'm sure we've all had bad eBay buys. Now that I see the complete model, I see how badly the first one was bollocksed up. Or is that bolloxed up? Spell check doesn't like either spelling.

      Delete