Sunday, June 27, 2021

WFRP 4th edition - Character Creation

Hi All,

I've had some down time so I had a chance to finish fleshing out the character that I started a few weeks ago for our transition to 4th edition WFRP. If you go to my WFRP page on the blog you will find links to youtube of our actual play. We just finished The Thousand Thrones campaign. It only took us several years and 54 episodes.

I referenced this post from The Ginger Noob to guide me through the process of character creation. Honestly, the rule book does a pretty good job of walking you through the process, but it's nice to have a reference.

I give you Johannes Knappen.



I started this character a couple of weeks ago, and was taking notes of my rolls etc to do a similar walk through post, but then of course I left those notes at home and finished the character without them or writing things down.

I have 3 extra points to distribute between Fate and Resilience. I was thinking to make both my fate and resilience 3, but I don't really know how resilience works yet. I also haven't written down my ambitions, but they may develop from the 10 questions that you're supposed to ask yourself to flesh out your character.

These are mine:

Ten Questions to flesh out your WFRP character.

1. Where are you from?

From the town of Hupeberg at the foot of the Grey Mountains.

2. What is your family like?

The Knappen family has recently come into the academic class. Peer Knappen was the son of an Imperial officer and Katrin the daughter of farmers. They met as students in Altdorf and returned to their home town Hupeberg upon graduation. Johannes’ younger brother Karl “Shwartzkopf” is studying Bright magic in Altdorf.

3. What was your childhood like?

My parents always stressed education and encouraged me and my brother to go to school and become academics as well.

4.Why did you leave home?

To pursue further studies as an apothecary.

5. Who are your best friends?

Ulli, a fellow apothecary student from home and Sigismund, a brawler and gambler from the Inn that Johannes and Ulli carouse in.

6. What is your greatest desire?

To unlock the secrets of potion making and rid the world of disease.

7. What are your best and worst memories?

My best memory is completing my goal of becoming an Apothecary’s apprentice. My worst memory is being unable to keep my mother from dying of the bloody flux.

8. What are your religious beliefs?

Like all good citizens of the Empire I observe the rites of Sigmar, but I pray to Shallya to help me heal others.

9. To whom, or what, are you loyal?

I am loyal to my friends, family, and the Emperor of course.

10. Why are you adventuring?

To uncover the secrets that will rid the world of disease.


So if you've seen any of my previous characters or listened to our game play, you'll note that this is a bit of a departure from my normal type. Usually I play a guy who hacks stuff with a sword and asks questions later.

I'm not sure how dooming works in this game, hopefully I get one that I can get my head around for gameplay purposes.

What's everybody else playing?

6 comments:

  1. I like him. Hope the challenge of playing a non-combat-centric character proves fun, I love playing bards for that reason.

    Right now my current game I’m in is a Star Wars effort where I’m playing a Togruta wannabe pilot who has force ability but doesn’t understand that is why he is special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dai, interesting. In the last bunch of years since getting back into hobbying in general I've played WFRP the most. I ran a game of Call of Cthulhu for my brother and a friend and played a Delta Green one shot. I played a couple of games of Dungeon World, which was interesting, but I played a Barbarian in that. The wildest one was a game of Ravenous I played at a con in Tuscon with a couple of the guys from Phoenix. It was the same system as Dungeon World [Powered by the Apocalypse (PBTA)] and it was a very cinematic ending to the game. It was sort of a playtest. I'm not sure how close to publication it is. The group was super cool.

      Delete
  2. Regarding RPGs, I have gone down a rabbit hole of using my 3 Dice RPG SF variant to run some games solo in a spreadsheet. I did this late last year but "improved" my variant and now redoing the spreadsheet :-) I am having fun doing it all and I guess that is the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun, sounds cool. Solo gaming is something I've been interested in but haven't explored all that much. Mostly playing out table top battles by myself and just trying to play both sides the best I can.

      Delete
  3. I already like this character. I think he'll do great and it is good to sometimes play some other type of hero than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xathrodox86, Leopold started as a departure, but I turned him into a fighter. I really enjoyed trying Dieter, but magic is a little frustrating in WFRP. I'm looking forward to playing more of a support role for the party in this one, definitely will push my boundaries.

      Delete