Friday, December 13, 2013

1000 points! (What have I done?)

Hi All,

  Well I'm going to commit to 1000 points for the painting challenge. I made a chart, printed out a four month calendar and started looking at what I had to paint. What's sad is that I am nowhere near painting all of my old stuff, let alone tapping into as much of the new stuff as I fantasized about.

I have put up a new page with a chart detailing my painting list and the points I project to receive for each completed unit. You will note that some of the figures are annotated as started. Before you cry foul, bear with me. I am including these figures in the tally because they are part of how I originally envisioned said units when I created them all those years ago. I had asked Curt a series of questions and shown him a picture of some semi completed figures as an example of ones I would not consider for the challenge. He said that the main point of the challenge was to have fun and get things done and that he would consider started figures at a penalty. So with that in mind I decided to include these two at a possible 1 point a piece. Perhaps they are too painted for even that, but no matter they are what they are. My intention is to take a start picture of each unit and send it along with my entry photos, as well as post it on my blog when I amaze you with my painting skill ;). I hope that fellow challenge members will trust me and Curt's final judgement on the matter.

Here is a sneak peak:

Themed figures

Entry figures

Old lead (and plastic) for Oldhammer

I also did receive one good piece of news from the doctor. My bi-annual chest x-ray showed no more stuff in my lung. So almost one year from learning of my contracting Valley Fever I appear to be in the clear. I count myself fortunate in that regard.

And while it may technically be safe for work, I suspect you would have to go through some sensitivity training were you caught looking at this video of the lovely Ashley Salazar.




You're welcome!

21 comments:

  1. I know how you feel! I put myself down for the same target, in a fit of madness surely? Think we'll be using the same figures for one of the bonus rounds too! Best of luck though, fella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vlad, best to you as well. I'm also realizing I have a few more figures I need to paint. Bother.

      Delete
  2. Excellent target, Sean! And, better yet, great news on your check-up. Looking forward to seeing these bits of lead, plastic and resin all assembled and with paint on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it was a bit of good news. I too am looking forward to the challenge and getting these boys done, they've languished fr too long without paint.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with reaching your target Sean! And great news from your doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, good luck to you as well. Fingers crossed and my tests next week clear me to get back to working out and running.

      Delete
  4. great target, looking forward to seeing the Oldhammer stuff get some love
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I hope it's not too ambitious. I too am really excited to get some paint on the boyz.

      Delete
  5. Hi Andrew, 1000 seems crazy, but it's not even half of what I wanted to do I just tried to limit myself to one unit per week. Some are larger than others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the check up! And as for 1000 points, go big or go home, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I was a tad trepidatious about picking a number, especially one which seems high. Many more experienced painters are picking much lower numbers. So yeah, I'm swinging for the fences.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Rodger, I need all the luck I can get.

      Delete
  8. 1,000 points is a lot of figures! I'm only in for 200 points and that will be tough for me.

    Wishing the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Anne. My calculations are for about 150 figures. Given my normal output that seems impossible. Taking a cue from you I made up a schedule. I will paint one unit a week, anywhere from 1 figure/model to 20 per unit. Your 200 will be top quality. I have no idea how to do half the techniques you do. So in theory I should be quicker. I'm also going for tabletop standard, while yours are definitely display/ competition standard. Best of luck to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you pulp citizen. I wish I was doing more pulp figures for this challenge.

      Delete
  11. That does sound like an ambitious target - good luck! And good result from the x-ray, too :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, thanks. I'm pottering away while others stormed out of the gate. Slow and steady wins the race. I go in for my tests today if I can get them scheduled. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  12. Good to see someone else getting into the Oldhammer. Nice work mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, are you Millsy perchance? I've been sitting on these for so long and all the Oldhammer action got me excited about playing 3rd edition again.

      Delete