More of an update than any real pearls of wisdom.
After several tries I got a decent mold with the Instant Mold. As you can see I still have a bit of flash and I bent the cast trying to pop it out too early. This was only my second time ever using green stuff and I'm not sure if my yellow to blue mix ratio was off. The axe is a tad bendy, I thought it would be harder.
I also did a bunch of gap filling and repair of a void in a miscast figure. I can't show them to you yet, as they are for the challenge, but I'll reveal them shortly. I had meant to show them before base coating, as I was really proud of my work. Of course I got carried away and sprayed them before taking pictures. I learned my lessons from my first experience and kept a little bowl of water to wet tools and fingers. I just used my craft store Sculpey sculpting tools and they worked great. I did see some fancy sculpting tools on sale for $9 on Amazon, so I splurged.
I usually focus on what went wrong, but I had a really positive experience this go round. It really made me want to work on sculpting more.