You can see all of the entries here, and as usual you will not be disappointed. The following is a re-blog of what I sent to Curt.
This weeks entry owes a big thanks to Dave D. Without his reminder on the Facebook challenge page I would have totally missed this entry. I don't have a chance of making my target, but my secondary goal of entering all of the bonus rounds looks like a reality.
Without further ado I give you Nar, also known as Nar the Plunderer. He comes to you from 1992 when my buddy Charlie and I began our Mighty Empires Campaign. The idea was that Orcs and Men had come to a critical mass and were about to fight a pitched battle for control of where they lived. The winner would found his capital and the loser would be forced to search the map until another capital hex was found.
I amassed a large force of cheap troops, Charlie a smaller force of quality troops. He chose to play Empire. Needless to say I lost the battle, but in the ensuing play by post (we hadn't yet discovered email) my territory greatly expanded. The background of my blog shows the map I made to commemorate it a few years ago. I hope to at some point revive this campaign, possibly as a play by blog or a la Talomir Tales.
Nar is supposed to be a Black Orc level 25 general. I have no clue as to who manufactured him anymore. He is white metal and 28mm scale. With so much metal on him I decided to try and make him interesting so I used Bolt Gun Metal, Bronze, Copper and Gold. The wash on him was 2 parts Burnt Umber and 1 part Black, I feel like it worked very well. His flesh color was Forest Green, with a drybrush of Hauser Med Green. I like how the fur cloak came out except the final dry brush may have muddied it too much. In my notes I found that he had a magic axe and runic armor. I tried to show this with my interpretation of an Arcane Circle on his shield. The symbol and the axe had a thin gold wash applied, but it doesn't seem to show and the varnish may have unset it on the shield design. I should have let it dry more.
Same basing technique. Bead of glue, airdry clay, texture gel, sand. After varnishing the flock and static grass were added.
I went for a vignette look, but cropped it close so it may not show. Aperture priority, F16, natural light. It rained here off and on most of the day.
Not much else to add, I was really annoyed with the piece of static grass on the axe blade that I missed. You can see it fell off in subsequent shots. I will say that I am hoping to get more than the one or two votes I normally get. I feel like I'm starting to get back into a serviceable painting mode. Perhaps large batch painting is just not my thing.