Monday, March 24, 2014

Buckingham Palace, Tower of London and Real Ale.

Hi All,

  Some more sightseeing yesterday. I'll spare you the obligatory shots of Big Ben et al and keep it to vaguely militaria. I did take some pictures of the guard standing watch but i won't include those as that's fairly common. Also they were in grey overcoats,so not as flash.

I immediately thought of Michael Awdry.

I thought Horse Guards was a little more interesting.

A relatively pigeon free Admiral Nelson

General Haig along the walk from the palace to parliament.

For Monty and Monty.

I still don't know how to pronounce Boudica.

Trebuchet? At the Tower of London.

25 Lber at the Tower of London.

Now that's more like it. A lovely pint at The Plough on Coptic St.
I missed getting a shot of some Beef Eaters. The pizza was also pretty good at Pizza Express, also on Coptic St., within eyeshot of The Plough and the British Museum. (The Plough is actually on Museum St. Little Russell is the street that runs between Coptic and Museum that both establishments are on.)

Today is the British museum and some other stuff, tour master is cracking the whip. Got to go.

13 comments:

  1. Ah, the British museum, a world in one, giant, overwhelming building :D.
    How did you like the Tower? :)

    As for Boudicca, I think it depends on how you write it, but I'll leave this one for the Brits to explain :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mathyoo, the British Museum was great. I dimly remembered it from my trip in 1979. I also liked the Tower of London it had some interesting bits.

      Delete
  2. Officially it's supposed to be /buːˈdɪkə/ (or "boo-dee-ka" for those of us who aren't professional linguists and cannot read phonetic spellings). However, foreigners are permitted - indeed, *required* - to say it in some funny way that makes them stand out :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh. I think someone pronounced it like Buddha Seeya, Perhaps I'll just say bodice.

      Delete
    2. I did some research (had to!) and found out "buddha seeya" seem to be the old idea of her name, while new is boo-dee-ka as Colgar said :D.

      Delete
  3. Great to see Her Imperial Majesty, The Queen-Empress topping the bill! That last photograph is making me think of the weekend already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photos Michael. I haven't been able to tour as many pubs as i would like but this is a family trip after all.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you're having a great time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, we're having a pretty good time although yesterday started to feel like a bit of a slog. My ideal would have been to have time to visit you guys, but it's not in the cards.

      Delete
    2. That's a shame, Gravesend's only 21 miles from central London!! 45 minutes on the train!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, not in the cards this time Ray. I was told in no uncertain terms that I only had time for a pint or a meal in the evenings that wasn't part of the"schedule".

      Delete
  5. This Boudicca stuff is all revisionist nonsense. When I was at school she was Boh-da-seeyah and that's what I still call her, Just as I still call an Apatosaur a Brontosaurus.

    Good to see you are getting some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Legatus, I'm with you. Pluto is a planet and it's Triceratops,not whatever the hell they call it now. Great sunshine yesterday while we were inside most of the day.

    ReplyDelete