Monday, August 10, 2020

You say Demons and I say Daemons: Another Scale Creep "Challenge"

 Hi All,

While there has been more going on behind the scenes than the blog would show, there hasn't been all that much that was interesting. Just sort of mundane hobby slow burn.

What did happen was a bunch of us, through the prompting of Spevna, painted some demons. Go check it out on the Scale Creep Blog here. There are some truly fantastic figures and paint jobs there. My personal favorite is Blue in VT's homage to Pete Taylor's Lord of Change. But honestly it's super hard to pick a favorite because they are all so good.

Anyway, my portion of the post is actually quite boring, but I was very inspired by this challenge.


After screwing about on eBay I got this Keeper of Secrets. As I mentioned on Scale Creep, I have the other three Greater Demons of Chaos, I just can't find them in my pile of shame right now.

I tried contrast on this model at first, but I failed. So I ended up using my Purple craft paint. It looks ok, but I have some proper model paint on order for future projects. Craft paint is starting to annoy me.

After failing with contrast on the KoS I decided to break out the Demonic Lasher from Reaper and try my hand at Contrast again.


After airbrushing the primer from black, through grey to a zenithal white I used Citadel contrast to block in the base colors. This time I located my contrast medium and thinned them about 1:1, 1.5:1. Contrast works way better if you start with a little preshading and thin them with the contrast medium. I still have a lot more experimenting to do to get the hang of these paints though. I think these "challenges have feed me up to experiment a little more. I also felt freer with this figure as I had already finished one and this was a bonus.

I then used Reaper paints to do the mandril faces, suction cups and spines/bones. I also drybrushed the scales and tentacles with reaper paints.

Anyway, thanks for looking and I hope to have an update on hobby stuff sooner rather than later.

10 comments:

  1. Outstanding. That Reaper demon has been on my to-do list for years now and yours is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Bill. To be honest I've had it in the blister for years. It was the first thing i found that was suitable but almost didn't paint it at all because I wanted to paint a Citadel model.

      Delete
  2. That lasher is amazing! Very good sculpt, but your paint job is really great, particularly the faces.

    The greater daemon is good too, but the sculpt is a bit cluttered, and it makes it harder to concentrate on any one part. It would be pretty great if you could find and paint the other three...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lasgunpacker. The mandrill faces is one of the few areas that I painted traditionally. The KoS was actually very difficult for me to paint, I tried and failed at several things with it. It is also an extremely busy sculpt. I need to just put on my big boy pants and clean up and organize my stuff.

      Delete
  3. That Lasher is so cool. One of your best paintjobs to date I feel.

    The Keeper o' Secrets is pretty sweet and easily from my fav range of Greater Daemons.

    Good stuff Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, it is a great model. That Olley guy isn't half bad. ;) I wish those greater demons were easier to find. Both for purchase and where ever the hell I put them. I wish my Lord of Change was also that era. Maybe I'll take another look for one. BTW there is another version of Demogorgon coming out in the Bones V kickstarter. This new one is larger and looks more like the newer D&D artwork.

      Delete
  4. Great brushwork! I particularly like the colors used on the Keeper of Secrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated EY. I think my bias against the Keeper of Secrets is that it took me a lot of work to fix failed attempts at the skin and I never really got what I imagined in the first place.

      Delete
  5. They are both great. But I've always been in love with those realm of chaos greater daemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skully. Yes the RoC demons are the gold standard to be sure.

      Delete