Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Merchant of Venus XII et al.

It's way past Uranus buddy!


This is what I submitted as my first entry in the Sci-Fi side duel over on the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. It can be found here. I decided he had to be paired with the Minion Bots as they use the same Aerial technology. It's also probably impossible to tell that he has buttons on his front colored Red, Green and Blue.


Hopefully I did the Colony 87 sculpt justice. I don't know what the bright blue spot on his shoulder is all about. I missed it before posting. So there it is. ***EDIT: I did not mention it here but was in error as to who sculpted the Merchant. Colony 87 is the project of Jon Boyce of Magpie and Old Lead. However the figures were designed by Will Beck and sculpted by Michael Anderson (who seems to sculpt a lot but I can't  seem to find a website for him). Thanks to JB Asslessman of Leadplague for giving me the 411. /EDIT***


The gold to silver to gold transition on the staff is the multiple pieces I had to use to try and fix the staff. I "repaired" it three or four times. Hopefully it doesn't look to bad. The transitions are a combination of wire, aluminum and plastic tubing.

Oh and the bots are named HU-E, DU-E and LU-E after the bots from Silent Running.


I'll be sharing the first picture at the Emporium at some point. Somehow we'll get them into a game of Rogue Trader.

20 comments:

  1. Great group ! I love yoru colour choices on the C87 pilgrim and the discrete duck reference on the bots is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB, I had a lot of angst over getting started on the Colony 87 stuff. After seeing everyone else's paintjobs I started getting a complex. Hopefully I've overcome that and can get on with it.

      Delete
  2. I loved this, fabulous entry, more so because of all the work you had to do in repairing him. Great job Sean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I think part of the problem was not transporting him well, but if he breaks so easily in transport then he's not really fixed.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, you'll probably see this again on Paint Table Saturday.

      Delete
  4. Really like the look of those.

    The kids have already spotted them and asked why I do not have cool mini's like those ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks riot ville. Yeah I'm starting to use my son to justify purchases as well. ;)

      Delete
  5. Worth every drop of sweat mate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, it does apper to be well received.

      Delete
  6. That is gold! They look like they were made for each other. Will have to pick up some of those bots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preacher by day, I picked them up as part of a set of robots, but I think they sell just the minions.

      Delete
  7. That's a great group! I find it very inspiring; my mind is now wandering over all the possible ways in which the merchant uses his 'bots :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh. I haven't thought about it much, one suggestion I've had is that they are explosive bots.

      Delete
  8. Very nice and original minis, wonderfully painted :) Greetings!

    ReplyDelete