Friday, January 8, 2016

Studio shots of vacation figures and Bertok size comparison

Hi All,

So I tried to take some better shots of the first three entries into the AHPCVI. This is just using my usual desk lamp lighting and laptop control of the camera on a tripod.


I think the layers show up a little better on Bertok. In the previous picture I had to use flash to get enough light.


I probably could have posed these a little better and lit them a little better, again no flash. It was hard to get these guys grouped and in focus on an 8.5" wide background.


Same for the Gladiators. Also the two huys hunching forward just don't photograph well.

L to R: Eeza Ugezod, Troll, Bertok, The Merchant of Venus XII
Finally you can see how massive Bertok truly is. Because he had a non slotta base I mounted him on the thinnest plywood base I could get from Litko. All the others are your standard ~3mm high plastic base. So yeah Bertok towers over a troll. Maybe I should have based him on a 40mm base.

Anyway thanks for looking and thanks to Armand for linking my last post on TMP.

14 comments:

  1. Bertok is still my fav so far, he is a very nice sculpt with a great paint job. Even so the Merchant is hot on his heels! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Your comment gets me fired up to do more.

      Delete
  2. Wow! He is a splendid miniature, great to see the photographs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I resisted the urge to name the post "glamour shots".

      Delete
  3. They're all nice!

    I'd say that Bertok needs to get out in the sun a bit more; he's what we in Scotland call "a bit peely wally". But then maybe I'm missing the point and he's not entirely human?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh, the two on the left are older paints, the Troll especially so. Bertok used the Vampiric Flesh triad from Reaper. Yeah the idea is that the gods of Chaos gifted him his stature but corrupted his body as well.

      Delete
  4. Nice work Sean, I find it tricky to take group shots as well. Some mini's always end up out of focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I got it better by increasing the aperture. But then you need a tripod and a remote shutter release.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Robert, the Goblins are 1/72 plastics from Caeser. I think that set is still widely available on the internet. They're fun but don't have a lot of armor. I also have some 20mm metal goblins from Splintered Light, but I haven't painted them up yet.

      Delete