Monday, January 18, 2016

"Epic Fail" round for Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge

Hi All,

The "Epic Fail" theme round is up on The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge Bonus Theme blog.

I did actually submit an entry this time, you can see it on that blog here, or you can look at the following pictures. As always, I urge you to go over there and check out the submissions and vote for whichever ones strike your fancy. Hopefully mine will be worthy of your vote.


"It was at this point that Snozgit realized Bolgag was putting him on about the anti tank squigs."

Thanks to fellow Oldhammer in the New Worlders Bulldog and Malcolm for supplying me with the stuff to make this happen.


The offending right heavy bolter. This Leman Russ started off so promising and became quite difficult. I was going to say that I hate everything about it, but that's a tad over stated. As some of you may be aware, I originally glued the right heavy bolter in upside down and only realized it after assembling and gluing the whole damn sponson on.


The tracks went together great. I had some trouble with the body of the tank and then the bolter housing on the front some how got flexed and wouldn't seat flush. I think the gap filling on the main gun with Tamiya putty was successful, the Yellow milliput around the front heavy bolter housing, less so.


I painted this whole beast with a brush, even the primer, and it was very frustrating. I should have just sprayed it, but the weather was weird here last week and it was right on the edge of the temperature range for spray paint. The coverage was bad, lots of streaks and brush marks. I feel like the wash was a little too brown, and the matte varnish went on rather rough as well. Thankfully it doesn't show in the pictures too badly.


I also don't really care for the metallics I spot colored on the tank. The bronze on the tail pipes and grills is ok, but the Reaper Honed Steel on the Heavy Bolters looks off to me. I was tired at the point I was painting them and thought "Eh,  close enough." I need to sort out a replacement for when my Boltgun Metal runs out.


Snozgit here painted up pretty straight forward. I think the four or five different browns used on all the pouches and patches don't differentiate as well as I'd hoped.

  
A pretty basic paint job, I was just pushing both of these models through.


He's supposed to be wearing striped pants, but it doesn't come through that well.

Another entry done and dusted.

Thanks for looking.

12 comments:

  1. Another lovely entry Sean, I just love the expression on Snozgit's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I really enjoyed your entry as well. Snozgit is a really nice sculpt. I really love the character of the old models.

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of GW's tanks (too top-heavy and too many guns), but this is nicely done. Good story too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out great despite the assembly troubles. Nice work Sean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing fails here, very nice work on the LR - and Snozgit looks great, very expressive - kind of reminds me of a certain Russian politician.. :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RMacedo. Perhaps he would look even more like him if he was riding a tiger or being more macho.

      Delete
  5. I like the Russ, even if you don't. The brush marks are only barely visible in a couple pics. The wash looks great, you half full glass pessimist.

    Those GW tracks make me irate, because they never seem to fit just right.

    I'd be proud to have her lead my Guardsmen into 4 x 6 battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baconfat, I do tend to focus on the negatives. The model is growing on me. Funny thing is that, for me, the tracks were the best part of the build.

      Delete