Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blogging Tips

I saw this link on Col. Shofer's blog and decided to start following the blog of said link. It seems mostly  intuitive, but it doesn't hurt to read up on advice. I have to say that there is a certain amount of gratification in stat numbers, but what I really want is to learn things and perhaps share information that is useful to others in the process.

So I'll be reading and attempting to use the "Blogging Tips" from their posts. So far I've tried, and failed, to get listed on http://blogs.tabletopgamingnews.com/ and http://figoblogotheque.blogspot.com/. Currently I think that The Angry Lurker and Don't Throw a One are the two sites that have directed the most traffic to me and my generic Age of Blood map is still the most popular. So a combination of cross linking and having something that people actually want seems to help. And having a prize give away seems to help as well.

And now to welcome new followers:

Titivillus of The Gaming Magpie sounds interesting and I hope he(?) will post about some of the things he mentions ie " 6mm sci-fi armies for Epic:40k/Armageddon and 15mm forces for 5150:Star Army. If you were to look closely at my painting table, though, you would also find some 28mm fantasy for Songs of Blades and Heroes and 15mm Napoleonics for Song of Drums and Shakos and (eventually) Sharp Practice."


Ding Duck, no blog listed but looking to expand from NUTS! to FNG.


Nicholas Caldwell a fellow theoretical gamer and writer of Colony13 where he show cases his sci fi figures and AAR's.


Mathyoo, no blog, but he seems to be following a lot of good Zombie blogs.


vinniecp of Vinnie's World (it's not linked in your Google friend profile) which has some great models and personal family history about British WW1 tanks. Thanks for the follow back Vinnie.


Jim Marzullo aka Martian Banshee, whose name seems familiar. If you have a blog please let me know. Jim appears to be following a couple of other blogs that are THW themed.


theelcharles who doesn't seem to have a blog either. I'm now guessing that this is the same as Chuck with the St. Louis Blues logo avatar.


So a hearty welcome to all and I hope that at some point you are enlightened and or entertained by this blog.

14 comments:

  1. Two years ago I didn't know what a blog was, I stumbled onto this blog http://steve-the-wargamer-wss.blogspot.com/, whilst trying to find info about Grand Alliance uniforms. I mentioned to Fran (The Angry lurker), that I might start one up just to post pics of my figures, 18 months later we're both flying high. Sometimes I do find blogging a bit of a chore, because I follow so many other blogs, if someone takes the time to read my blog and comment, I try and read there's and try to comment, I think that's where a lot of bloggers fall down because they don't comment on others blog, if they don't they're soon off my list unless I find there's useful. I'm hardly never stuck for a post, because its about my hobby, so what I paint, play and think about usual makes it on the blog, in one way or another.
    I too like to check my stats, its sad rally but it does give me a buzz when I find out so many people like what I've written, it encourages you more.
    A little tip for you Sean is to add your email address to your blog and to your "About me" icon. I've found that a very useful tool, sometimes people don't want to leave a comment and prefer to email.
    Great post btw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Ray. I'll also try to be less stingy with my comments. My main hang up is just trying to have more to say than "Good job", especially when the post has 20+ comments already.

      Delete
  2. Good post Sean thanks for the link. Blogging has been an interesting experience for me. I've enjoyed meeting alot of great people through the blogs and I've learned alot from them. I second what Ray says about commenting on others blogs its what really brings the community together.

    That being said I still struggle sometime for content as real life gets in the way of the hobby (as well as my other hobbies). That being said I try to post at least once a week. Also follow others blogs helps inspire me to blog and get stuff done in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good post Sean. I also like to to look at the stats from time to time. I have to agree with Ray and Dan and what they have said about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger, I must admit that I don't look at them too often but it is interesting to see where the traffic comes from and what they are looking at/ for. I'm still trying to increase that elusive Kiwi readership. ;)

      Delete
  4. And let me be a fourth to chime in about comments - it does not take long and comments are part of blogging, otherwise it is just a webpage. So far blogging has not been a chore, as it is almost all solo battle reports I enjoy playing, and I post about every three weeks. I am also inspired by the quality and quantity of other bloggers output. And lastly, yes, I am guilty of checking stats - views, sources etc all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun, I really need to tuck into your posts and pick your brain. I have been very interested in what you are doing, I just haven't commented yet. Or if I have I don't even remember what I said.

      Delete
  5. Keep up the good work Sean, TMP is a good place to show your wares....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, I do need to go over to TMP and I was thinking about Benno's as well. I still can't figure out why I get no love from TGN but you can't let it get to you. I also need to get off my ass and paint, as well as dig out my old stuff and photograph it. I think part of the problem is I fear I may not be as good as I think I am.

      Delete
    2. As Fran says TMP is an excellent place to show your stuff, your as well as Benno's, most of my hits come from TMP pages, I hardly get anything from TGN. Remember to link back to the blogpost and not the blog home page, otherwise in 6 months time people won't be able to find the page they're looking for.

      Delete
  6. Being the author of the article mentioned I wanted to say thanks. You may have found it, sounds like you did, but I do have some other tips here: http://creativetwilight.com/category/community-news/blogging-tips/

    If you look at my blog, on the right is an area for Blog Networks. All of those networks are open to any type of gaming blog. I get a fair share of my traffic from those. The place that generates the most of my traffic is Bell of Lost Souls: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/ and I believe they are also open to all types of gaming blogs.

    If you have any specific questions I'll gladly try and help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thor, (great name BTW) I did see your blogging tips and will go through them shortly. I like the feature of your blog that lists read through time.

      Thanks too for the blog network suggestion. I do believe in the hive mind so to speak and it was bugging me that I seemed unable to reach people.

      After a read through I may have some questions for you. And I'll be sure to comment on your posts. I actually thought I had already.

      And thanks for commenting on my blog, I never dreamed of getting a comment from you.

      Delete
    2. Admittedly some of those networks are faster than others at adding you. I know House of Paincakes is fast, as is Wargaming Tradecraft. The rest definitely range from reasonable to slow in response time.

      Glad to help!

      Delete