Sunday, March 11, 2012

Map of NW Talomir WIP

Just wanted to share a map I've been working on between chores today. It is the setting of THW's Talomir in what has been referred to as Norwes.


It includes Mirholme, Tereken, Capalan, Altengard, Malohad, Valkae, half of Ekra, most of Seniira, part of the Tropilium Imperium, and tiny snippets of Sortium.

I'm not totally happy with how it's going, but it does have some character. Mostly the edges of the terrain are too uniform. I've used a combination of techniques, but primarily following those set forth by RobA of the Cartographers Guild. Notable additions are the "Ice cap" to cover unknown area and the ridge between the forest and desert in the Malohad peninsula.

Hope you like it. Any critiques appreciated.

Next will be to highlight the countries and provinces.

7 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good, IMO.
    You might want to shift the "light source" direction for the hills to Upper Left. That's where the human eye expects it. It seems to be in the lower right with this version and that makes the hills look like depressions.
    YMMV...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, thanks for the tip. I'll have to play around with the bump map adjustments. It does seem to me like depressions.

      Delete
  2. Excellent job! What program are you using to make the map?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan. It's GIMP v.2.6.8 with the Gimp Paint Studio 1.4 setup. A great program if you don't mind the learning curve.

      Delete
  3. Nice work and you've reminded me I need to do one for Franonia....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was why I had thought of offering a map commission as a prize. But then I thought that was cheap on my part, so I nixed it.

      Delete