Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Plan for the year ahead

Hi All,

I thought it might be useful to put thoughts to blog as I try and have a think about what I want to accomplish with my hobby in 2017.

So the trick is, how to make an actionable list of things I want to accomplish?

Promote Oldhammer in the New World

Ok. I want to see more people playing Oldhammer. Painting and collecting are all fine and dandy, but I think where Oldhammer really pays off is in playing and the camaraderie that ensues. I also want to play more myself so encouraging others may lead to more opportunities for me. 

Action Plan:

Aside from attending the next Oldhammer USA event I'm going to be investigating existing conventions that I can go to and surreptitiously meetup and play Oldhammer. Last year Airborne and Bulldog went to Historicon and met up with Kronos for his massive Space Hulk game. Rusty and Blake met up with Orclord for a massive Warmaster 28 game at Adepticon so I know there are things like this happening. So if you know of a Con that's worth going to, let me know.

I will also continue to put out the zine once a quarter. For now it is fun and people seem to like it, so I'll go with it.

I may look into more ways to promote Oldhammer on social media.

Painting my frigging figures

I spent way more time acquiring than painting in 2016, so I need to get on this. Part of the problem is getting excited by new games, figures, projects but not following through.

Action Plan:

Catalog the mountain and painted figs. Maybe everything painted is a place to start. I'm also going to return to the painting desk by painting upthe figures I owe Curt and David B from last years painting challenge so I can be free and clear to focus on my own stuff without guilt.

Build more Terrain

For how long I've been in the hobby I have a real dearth of terrain. I need to remedy that.

Action Plan:

Finish up all the various trees, rocks and hills I started over the years but never finished. Build the paper models I've been purchasing and work on terrain weekly as opposed to semi annually.

Just generally game more

I've let being tired and disorganized get in the way of just pulling out games and figures and having fun. 

Action Plan:

Have a tidy up and then make time for quick gaming sessions with my family. I'm also going to try and get more involved at local games stores to see if there are other like minded individuals.

Conclusion

Perhaps still a little broad strokes, but I think there is something I can drill down into. Perhaps I should have written this out on paper rather than type a stream of consciousness on the blog. But why change my style now?

Anyway hope your projects are coming along and that you achieve most, if not all of what you wanted to in 2017.

17 comments:

  1. Actually painting the sodding things does help, trust me I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your 2017 hobby plans. I definitely recommend getting some 'quick wins' to try and build momentum toward your end goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi pulpcitizen, yeah building on quick success is the plan.

      Delete
  3. SOunds like sound plans! Good luck this year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks airborne, I'll take all the luck I can get.

      Delete
  4. A sound plan mate. Like you I don't have enough quality terrain. I'm getting there slowly but it costs money and time that can be spent on miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy. I'm going to try and build my terrain using all the old books and White Dwarf articles I have, as well as learning tips from the Terrain Tutor.

      Delete
  5. It's good to plan stuff like this out before you end up losing track of what you had in the first place due to the sheer amount of unpainted and unplayed-with stuff you own.

    The flip-side of this, is once you start cataloging just how much you have sat waiting to receive your painting attentions, it's so easy to feel overwhelmed by the amount of minis in your backlog.

    I've no idea how to balance these things, I only know how to tell you about them and raise your spirits! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dai, thanks. It's always good to be aware of the pitfalls with any plan. I'm already dragging at the sheer enormity of the task. I will post progress though.

      Delete
  6. What helps me is putting numbers to the targets, so get five pieces of scenery done, paint 100 models. Tom and I were gaming a couple of days ago and my post had made him think about painting and how much he had done in 2016. Put your numbers down and then start chipping away. You will be grand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stevo, good advice. My WFRP game for today got cancelled so I'll try to get on concrete numbers.

      Delete
  7. I am also looking forward to the terrain, I am hoping to get some top tips, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. I avoid doing terrain, I usually buy it. More expensive yes, but I lack time already to paint so terrain is overkill timewise for me.

    Good luck with the plans! I just try to work on a few projects, otherwise I get overwhelm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iannick. I go back and forth on buy versus build. I feel a strong part of the hobby is diy so I feel like I should at least try.

      Delete
  9. That's a very good aspirational list. Best of luck in making progress on it.

    ReplyDelete