Monday, June 8, 2020

Classic Plastic - RTB01 Space Marine

Hi All,

Well, I let peer pressure get the best of me again. This time a bunch of us agreed to paint a Plastic Space Marine from the RTB01 box. I suggest you read about it here. There are some truly fantastic submissions once again.

I won't totally bore you by rehashing what I wrote over there, but I will repost the pictures here.

I give you a Medic/Apothecary from the Space Ghost chapter of Marines.





My inspiration image.


I neglected to mention that I followed one of Curis Ninjabread's tutorials for painting the white armor. I used similar techniques on the rest of the colors. My black, especially, needs more work. You can find him on Patreon here for tutorials if you are so inclined. This is the first time that I followed all the way through and got a result that looks like what was intended.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

18 comments:

  1. I had a look over at the other blog - in regards to your question about what colour a Chapter with a base colour might do their medics to make them stand out - I'm going to say RED!

    I have an old OLD White Dwarf... Somewhere... with pictures of medics in the Guard (humans and SQUATS!) and Space Marine Apothecaries. I had actually located it not too long ago, because I was trying to figure out old-school-colours for some Guard I was painting up for myself! In addition to a lot of medics and apothecaries in white, there were a lot in red, or a mix of red and white, or a mix of red and/or white with their original chapter colours.

    (Please note: I'm not suggesting you repaint, though, because this looks just fine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Tim. Yes I asked a few friends and we did discuss red armor and a white helmet. I briefly also thought about trying an obverse color scheme along the lines of how some 18th century soldiers would have the jacket and facing colors of their regiment flipped. Ultimately I just decided I wanted to paint the "actual" chapter scheme and then put a medic marking on him.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, just lots of thin coats and some highlight on the edges. First time I think I've gotten the technique correct.

      Delete
  3. Love it! Space Ghost chapter is a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, I've had an idea to do my own chapter for a long time. I like Blood Angels, Ultramarines and Crimson Fists fine, but I just wanted something that would stand out.

      Delete
  4. Great looking work here! The white and black both came out well, and as you are aware, each color can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Lasgunpacker. While I'm pretty happy with the white I feel like I rushed the black a little and need to work on my technique more.

      Delete
  5. Looks great! But are these marines amphibious? I mean do they attack from coast to coast? Your black paint looks great to me, nice subtle variation, think you’re being a bit hard on yourself mate. I especially like the yellow lenses. Are the shadows of the white armour stormvermin fur paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 24_Cigs, ha ha. I've actually never seen Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Or whatever the new iteration is. Thanks for the encouragement. The lining is the first layer of the white, which in this case was Reaper Rainy Grey, with a spot of black mixed in. The colors I used were Rainy Grey, Ghost White and Pure White. All from Reaper.

      Delete