Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Preparation AHPC

Hi All,

  Once a year a condition arises that calls for treatment with lead, plastic, paints and varnish. It usually comes about in late December but clears up by late March. Side effects may include blurred vision, solvent induced hallucinations, and the potential for being hit by sandbags. If these symptoms persist longer than 90 days, please consult your doctor.

  Ok, silliness aside, I've been preparing for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. As per usual, I have waited till the last minute to do the bulk of my prep work. So the usual holiday frenzy has heightened my sense of panic about the challenge.

  I like to keep my work leading up to the challenge close to the vest, so to speak. Not because I think anyone will gain an advantage, but because I like to debut the pieces fully painted and follow Curt's rule of first shot at the pictures.

  Suffice it to say I'll have a healthy dose of my usual 20mm (1/72) and Fantasy 28mm. I've also amassed some Sci-Fi 28mm of late. I had a few when I, foolishly, signed on for the Sc-Fi side duel. I've since acquired some more because I was worried I didn't have enough models to even compete.

  Anyway here are a few shots of my ongoing repair of a Colony 87 figure.


So my idea was to essentially pin the top of the staff back on but I decided that it might be sturdier if I put a spacer around the pin using aluminum tubing.


Above shows how the pin and tube fit together.


Aside from showing you my manicure, this is meant to show you how I drilled the staff ends to accept the pin.

I've since glued the pin and spacer on, but didn't have time to take a picture. Five hours to get the boy to do his homework took it out of me. His ADHD is getting to be a serious issue. Happy Holidays to one and all. I'm supposed to be playing out another Talomir battle. I'll add it to the list.

8 comments:

  1. My warmest best wishes to you during the challenge Sean, and I for one am certainly looking forward to seeing what wonderful minis and paintjobs you produce during the Challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax, I'm hoping to be able to do justice to old and new sculpts alike. I'm quite a bit more ambitious this year. Will see how it all pans out when the rubber hits the road as they say.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking set of figures to paint. You certainly have your work cut out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin, thanks. The figures are quite nice but I'm getting a little gun shy. I've seen a lot of very well painted examples of them on facebook.

      Delete
  3. Interesting; I've just realised when reading this that I don't see many articles that even mention the construction of a model. Most are just finished works or sometimes "how I painted XYZ"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, I hadn't really thought about it. I tend to focus on the mundane aspects of the hobby and try to write about things I wish people detailed for me. There's a whole lot of "Step 1: start with a bare model; Step 2: Paint it to Golden Demon standard" tutorials out there. I know it's not rocket sience, but if nothing else it serves as a reminder for me of how I did things.

      Delete