Thursday, May 12, 2016

So you've listed yourself on the Oldhammmer Opponent Finder...

So now what?


Hi All,

  Entered another person onto the N. America list and I thought it was time to do a follow up post. Like some of you, I missed the early adoption of the opponent finder. After asking around a little I got it re-instated but I think some of the same issues that caused it to fall into disuse still apply.

  People who are already geographically close to one another or in a group that meets semi regularly don't feel the need to reach out to others. While my attempts have gotten some people to become more interested/ active it hasn't seen my invitations to play increase.

  I still think knowing roughly where in the world people are is useful, but it is not the be all end all. It still requires effort on one's own part. You need to actively search out people on the interwebs, be it the forum, facebook or google and you need to be willing (at least in principle) to travel to play.

  I'm not saying you have to be insane like Airborne and myself and give up hours to travel but just be willing to accept the fact that people are not necessarily going to be falling over themselves to drive/fly to your town to play with you.

  So here's what I'm asking you to do. If you blog or have a website, social media etc. mention the opponent finder. If you're on facebook join a regional group. type Oldhammer in the search and hit the group tabs. I recently learned there is an Oldhammer New England group for instance. Finally, make a group if there isn't one. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should do a Desert Southwest one or  West of the Rockies one?

Good luck with your hobby endeavors!

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got this going again Sean...I agree with you though. If you want to play it takes effort, as we realize these United States are huuuuuge. Anyway I'm trying to set something up with Symphonicpoet who is only about 90 minutes away. Life has just been very busy. I do look forward to trudging out east though for the grand campaign season! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh bad The Composer on there. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Airborne, yeah people who live in and around hubs of other enthusiasts don't quite get where we are coming from. If I hadn't just said to hell with it and come out to Pennsylvania last August I'd probably still be just sitting here whining about how I haven't painted my 26 year old lead. I still do that, but at least I've played a couple of games with them now.

      Delete
  2. hi sean i would like to add this app to my blog if thats ok can you let me know how to do it cheers mate .kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat. On the one in the postt above there is a little share icon. You can click on that and it will give you options on how to add it or share it. If you like I can post on how to do it. Maybe even if you don't like I could do it for others who may have a similar question.

      Delete
    2. hi sean yeah that would be great if you can do a post regards kat

      Delete
  3. How do I get on this list? I'm in Youngstown, NY. I've got 2 other players almost wrangled into a group here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christopher, this was originally set up on a persons blog. I have been doing it through the Oldhammer forums, but I suppose it's possible you could just tell me the info and I could put you on. I'll ask on the forum just to see what they say. I can pm you on facebook later (I think).

      Delete
  4. Sean, I would like to be added to. I'm on the Oldhammer Community on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony, just get me your details in the opponent finder format and I'll put you in. Email of Facebook PM is fine.

      Delete
  5. Thanks. Left a post in the Oldhammer forum thread with that info!

    ReplyDelete