Saturday, January 18, 2020

Slow start to the hobby year

Hi All,

While many have been picking up where they left off with a productive year, I have been relatively quiet. I still haven't picked up a brush since maybe November. I'm not happy about it, but I don't feel the need to force myself either. I've been trying to focus on various projects around the house instead of ignoring them.


Most of my hobby has been reading the rule books I got on or around the holidays. I read Last Days:Zombie Apocalypse and Last Days:Seasons and am thinking about how to best get that on the table. I do have a lot of 20mm scale zombies buried somewhere but all of my 28mm zombies are fantasy. I've also toyed with the idea of sci-fi zombies, but again the Necromunda zombies are buried somewhere. It also occurred to me that I have those 40mm zombies, but I think we don't have enough survivors.


I also read Hardwired. I think that might be the quickest way to get things on the table and cooperative play is the best thing for our household. The thing I'm missing for this is enough terrain. (Back to those goals I forgot about biting me in the ass.)


Lastly I started reading Gaslands:Refuelled. You guessed it. The cars have all gone missing. Although I could use the Devils Run cars if I can get over hating how they were coming along with my paint job.

I did get in a WFRP game and make a cool image depicting a scene from the game. At least I thought it was cool. I may do a post on making it. Perhaps not quite a how to but just an overview.

We're supposed to have a local meetup here in Phoenix to game Star Breach in the Dune universe setting. Unfortunately I can only stop by to pick up my order dice because my son is performing in the district honor band that afternoon.

Hopefully I can get it together to have a project finished in the near term.

Also a quick welcome to Joe M. Sorry for the lack of activity of late. I hope to be posting something semi useful in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, it looks like a great rule set if, like me, you have a bunch of random figures.

      Delete
  2. I shall be curios what you do with Last Days as I have that hiding somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MIchael, it seems like a fun system. I just need to make a decision and then get that on the table.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to your Hardwired reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Major G. I also need to read yours and airborne's reports on the games you've played.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the welcome, Sean! So Gaslands looks awesome; would you recommend starting with Refuelled -- is it version 2 of the rules, or more of an expansion to the core?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Joe. I don't know a whole lot about Gaslands, but I think that Refueled is a compilation of the original core rules plus various expansions in one volume. I like the idea of having everything in one book.

      Delete
  5. Hey, happy new year.

    I know what it feels like to have things scattered around, and then need to find them. Hopefully you get that all sorted out, and can return to a regular production schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well Lasgunpacker. I hope I can get back to a "normal" schedule as well. I'm a little frustrated with myself for not getting a handle on my stuff already.

      Delete
  6. It's okay to just let things be until the hobby bug takes ya mate. I am not a fan at all of just "forcing" myself to hobby.

    Last Days looks super cool. Would be interested to read your review, and a play-through of it. I have All Things Zombie Evolution by 2Hour Wargames that I've yet to play. It has some fab reviews and an interesting rules system that appeals, just have to get my modern zeds stuff painted (survivors and terrain) and slapped onto the kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Dai, yeah you can't make hobbying work. I have one of the All Things Zombie titles but I never got the game of the ground. The main THW games I played were Rally Round the King and the jousting game, the name of which escapes me. I bought a ton of titles but just got bogged down when I played solo. I'll let you know and maybe also give ATZ another look through when I get my Zombie stuff up and running.

      Delete