Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Amburger Hill

Hi All,

Well I got my first game in with the local group, and got my ass handed to me. It was fun though. Two things. Vehicles are powerful! I don't think I have ever played a game of RT with combat vehicles before. The few times I've seen robots I've been fortunate to be on the opposite side of the table.

I also made the decision to "roleplay" them as cocky, gung ho types. So, although they tried to stay out of sight, they got caught running around in the open and were... I'll let the comic explain it.

More photoshop filters and added some effects in photoshop as well. The source photos were a tad blurry, I didn't spend any time sharpening this time around. So there's that.





So, what did I learn? I need some kind of vehicle with heavy firepower. I have a Leman Russ built up, but not sure exactly how to stat it up for RT or if I can afford it by jettisoning the command section. I have a sentinel or two that I could build. I need to check the cost, but they are fairly affordable. I also have those plastic flyer kits from Russia that I could press into service. Again, I have to read up on the vehicle build rules and points cost. The command section is 280 points in the Compendium.

Thanks for looking.

16 comments:

  1. I love these comic strip batreps - much better than a tedious essay on who rolled what dice when!

    Nice looking game too. What's the wheeled vehicle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Axiom. After years of doing these comic reports I can't go back to the photo dump sort. I remember that he mentioned what the APC was, but no recollection of the manufacturer. I'll ask him at our next game in March.

      Delete
  2. See the problem is you used 3rd platoon. 3rd platoon always sucks. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Airborne. That was part of the backstory/joke. Somewhere in the fluff about Guard organization it says specifically "3rd Platoon's job is to support 1st and 2nd Platoon." I thought that pretty much summed up their performance.

      Delete
  3. Nice mix of miniatures and a cool presentation! Which program do you use to do your batreps, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skully, I use Comic Life 3. It can be a little laggy, and sometimes crashes. Just save often and take your time. I think airborne uses an older version of the program.

      Delete
  4. Great battle report! Did you take the 2 las-canon as part of the CMD section? I always found with compendium guard that you have plenty of AT, but you need anti-personnel. That's why I tended to use sentinels and land speeders in support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brennan. I had a bit of an issue as I don't have any Rogue Trader era guard figures. I swapped out the squad lascannon for the flamer (he got shot and blew up before doing anything). For the command section I used the crew served lascannon from the Cadian box. They got caught out in the open and maybe fired one shot? I don't remember, but the squat player took them out first because that was really the only thing I had that could hurt him. Yes, I need more vehicles.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh. Yeah you need the vehical support then. Also las cannon are expensive. If down grade the weapons I think you should get a few more pionts. That's just my two cents. I'm wicked glad to see someone using my fav gaurd list.

      Delete
  5. Welllll
    That was... quick?

    Great report, and yes I think the cocky roleplaying thing worked well. Not for Victory, I mean, but to truly reflect what hubris can bring to battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Maj Guiscard, pretty quick. I lasted until almost turn 3. I suppose I could have hid in the bushes and waited for the squats. Not really my style. I'm more Soviet waves of men assault. Only problem was I only had a total of 16 guys.

      Delete
  6. The guardsmen did their job. Now the enemy has less ammo. More troopers where those came from....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes daveb, but I do need to be a little more tricksy moving forward. Since it's a campaign, my usual style of to the last man will not work out for me very well.

      Delete
  7. An entertaining read, as per usual! Hope the reconstituted B Coy, 3 Pln have better fortune!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archduke Piccolo. We shall see, the Ork player didn't have any vehicles but I didn't really pay attention to what happened with him.

      Delete