Monday, January 26, 2015

Gruss vom Krampus


For the Myth round I chose to do Krampus. I was first introduced to this mythological creature by the TV Show Grimm. The thought of a monster that punishes children, as jolly St. Nick gives them presents, fascinated me.

I found some interesting information about Krampus on wikipedia and Krampus.com. I didn't look through the image search when painting the figure, but there are some pretty disturbing depictions.

What I neglected to mention as I rushed to get in my post, is that the figure is from Reaper and was sculpted by Jason Wiebe.



I'm not totally pleased with the photos, I wanted to soften the background by shooting in macro mode. It softened the focus on the base a little too much.

This was also my first use of snow flock. I mixed GW snow with glue and water to try and get a wet look. The lighting and the focus caused it to blow out pretty white.

I intend to use him for a Beastman unit one day. The running joke this year in the challenge is to call Curt the Snowlord, partly due to his 1812 retreat from Moscow project last year. So I thought that Krampus would bellow "Snow for the Snowlord!" I have a concept for a Chaos snowflake, but haven't executed it yet.

17 comments:

  1. Excellent model Sean, I really love how the limited palette enhances the grim vibe of the model, more colours could reammy make it go the cheerful "Pan" way but the milky eyes and scarce ground really make it look perfect.
    You've got a winner here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB, although I was in a rush, I did have a plan that it was mostly going to be about his face. I'm really happy with how he turned out but I don't think I ever have enough technique on display or wow factor that I really need to place in the challenge. I haven't even made it into the top 10.

      Delete
  2. Very nice work there. Not someone you'd want to meet, child or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Edwin. I agree, some of those costumes are quite horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracking model and a corking paint-job Sean. Certainly my fave of your figures for this year, despite my soft spot for all those Gobbos you've just finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. He seems to be pretty well received. I think the sculpting is doing most of the heavy lifting for this figure, but I will accept that I nailed my concept for him. I'd really like to figure out how to blend the layers on the horns better.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful miniature and splendidly executed by your good self, I quite fancy one of these for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, it is a fun figure. I'd like to see how you paint one.

      Delete
  6. Nice work, but wow - is he ugly or what?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, maybe a face only a mother could love.

      Delete
  7. Certainly a strange looking fellow, very well painted though Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A strangely facinating figure, excellently painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, still lots of work to improve but I feel like I'm making progress. The hardest part is forcing yourself to try new techniques. I'm still playing it a little safe to be honest.

      Delete
  9. An interesting theme and a nice miniature.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He looks proper bonkers, I love him!

    ReplyDelete