Saturday, November 18, 2017

Monolith Con 2017 - Ambulls on the Loose

Hi All,

Last weekend I had the good fortune to attend a small gathering of friends to totally geek out and play old, unsupported, games with a mix of new and oop models. It was glorious.

Because my order of plastic Umber Hulks didn't arrive from Miniature Market I had to play out a variant of my Ambull hunt scenario idea using my pair of Knightmare Games Ambulls.

Please to enjoy! (Remember you can right click on them and read them in Monolith size)















We just used regular Rogue Trader rules and rolled for initiative for the player squads each turn. The Ambulls went last and the random movement from the scatter dice was a little weird but worked out in the end. We agreed that having some civilians in the way would have made it more of a challenge. Next time I should have my Arbites painted up as well.

Before we started we had talked about playing on a 4'x4' table, but somehow ended up on a 6'x4'. One of the challenges of multiplayer, and especially 3 players, is making sure that everyone has an equal chance at the objective.

On a photography note, I spent the weekend playing with my ISO settings and not using flash. So most of these pictures were taken at around 5000, which to me is ridiculously high. I still have to figure out how to balance things, because the pictures were super contrasty and therefore difficult to tweak, even in Lightroom. It also contributed to the softness of the images in the comic. Higher ISO leads to greater noise in the image. So still some work but I know I can get pictures without flash if I have to.

Thanks for looking.

12 comments:

  1. Kick arse Sean!!!! That looked like a lot of fun to play....almost a TPK :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. P, the renegades and Pirates shot each other to pieces. The Ambulls did the rest.

      Delete
  2. Omfg you totally triggered me with flashbacks to that game. When that male woke back up I was toast. Awesome report dawg!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Airborne, I'm glad that I added the wake up rule last minute, it would have been dull otherwise. The fact that they both woke up on tbe same turn made it epic.

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun! You get better at the comic each time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun Lissanne. Thanks, like most things, the more you do it the better you get.

      Delete
  4. Shite Sean, now i REALLY want to get in on this ambull semen extraction action. (Title of my next album)

    Lisanne is right, comic looks really well put together too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, I'll make sure to bring the stuff for the Ambull scenarios over the holidays. We can use whatever rules you like. You just need to know what you need to hit and to wound etc.

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant looking game. Looked really fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riot. It was one of those games that seemed like it was going to be obvious and not that interesting, and then the Ambulls both stood up and ripped through their pursuers. If I'd thought about it I would have cheated to make that happen.

      Delete