Saturday, March 28, 2015

Finished Wind Maiden and Dettol

Hi All,

Well since the response to my last post was so underwhelming, I'll bore you with another. Here's that figure from the Caeser fantasy adventurer set that I've used for a sorceress and a wind maiden of late in my games of Rally Round the King (RRtK).


She definitely doesn't merit the uber closeup photography, but she is done. Overall my layering is too rough and the gold belt in particular kind of globbed on a little. Techniques that work well on 28mm are hit and miss on 1/72. I still need to figure out how to improve my female skin.

Anyhow, no progress on the hobby for me today as we went to our first track meet. It was 90F today (so 32C ? or 305K). It felt damn hot. Unfortunately we missed our time for the 800m and then sat around in the sun for 2.5 hours until the 400m. I was proud of the boy. He came in 4th in his heat and, unlike some, did not throw up after his race. Since the race was way down south of us in Chandler, we took the opportunity to stop by a dim sum restaurant and asian market we had not been to in ages.

That's where I found a, relatively, local supply of dettol.


It's right across the aisle from the PG tips tea. So now I know where to go when I run out of my giant tin of Ahmad Earl Grey.

I'll have to check in on the stuff I've had soaking in Simple Green since last December and see if the paint is coming off.

Cheers.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely job...hope she won't melt with your weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, as long as I don't leave her on the dash board of my car she'll be okay.

      Delete
  2. for me, a good job on the figure !
    congrats to your boy !
    and I've a question: what is "Dettol" ? for which use ?
    thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a disinfectant/antiseptic that some people use to strip paint off figures (it's surprisingly effective).

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tamsin ! I don't know if this product is available in France !
      maybe with another name ...

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sam, I don't know if it is available under another name in France, I think JB Assless from Leadplague may know, but I think he buys his on trips to England. I've never seen it in the USA before. I'm not sure if it's generally available.

      Delete
    4. Sam,

      Salutations :)

      Je pense Dettol est vendu avec le nom "Dettolpharma" en France. Chercher dans les pharmacies et les supermarchés.

      Delete
    5. Merci Monseigneur Red Cardinal ! ;)
      on sait jamais: ça peut servir !

      Delete
  3. Just remember to wash your hands thoroughly after using Dettol, especially if you are going to the toilet - we don't want you to do a "Ray" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. The Ray incident is etched in my brain after Anne's video re-enactment. I'll probably wear gloves if I use it.

      Delete
  4. HI, yes I used dettol a few days ago, I wear rubber gloves as my skin does not like it, plus it stinks to high heaven but it did a fantastic job.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacko, thanks. Yes the odor may be an issue for me as that may push SWMBO over the edge. She's fairly tolerant of my "little men" but not of stinking up the house.

      Delete
  5. I rather like this figure, she's full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, she should be in a battle report soon.

      Delete