Sunday, December 10, 2017

Paint Table Saturday 214 - Finished, prep and a crack

Hi All,

A fair amount of progress this week, but probably not as much as I should have gotten. Such is life. I decided to do a bunch more prep so that I can focus on painting for the rest of the Old World Army challenge.


So I finished adding the flock and static grass to the Brigands and Chaos Warriors. I also brushed on some primer to some of the Wargames Foundry bowmen in the back there and I put everyone on bottle caps to try and cut down on the amount I handle the figures. I still touch them way too much.


Just below are the rest of the retainers with their basing done. I just need to seal the grit on and then I can prime these.


On the auxiliary table, I have the foot knights, Crossbowmen, Ordonnance and one Knight (totally unassembled. The Foot knight standard bearer needs to have his banner pole cut and some green stuff to fix his hand. Somebody had modified him in the past and his hand is messed up. I had a few voids in random figures that I filled with squadron putty. It's not the greatest but it works in a pinch. One of the gunners has some major flash/ mold seam that I'm going to have to be extra careful on, so I may do the cannon next month instead of my original plan to do it this month.


Finally, I noticed a large crack all the way around the waist of the leader of my retainer unit. Boo! I must have dropped him in all the back and forth handling I've been doing. There is a definite wobble in his upper half now, but it hasn't completely separated. I've waffled about how best to fix him. Clean break and pin, or force glue and or green stuff into the crack and hope for the best. Today I'm thinking glue, yesterday was break and pin.

I'm also getting a tad bogged down in planning. I'm not sure I have enough shields for all these guys and plain shields seem to be something of a rarity these days. I think I've found some on Magister Militum, but it seems stupid to have to order them from overseas. I also found that not only is one of the plastic knights horses miscast, but one of the knights is as well. It's his shield arm so it can be hidden easily, it's just annoying.

Thanks for looking.

Oh and check out Early Blazon, a great resource for 13th century heraldry.

12 comments:

  1. Get em prepped! 😜 Hope fixing that leader goes smooth for ya. Looking forward to your next batch this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Airborne. Got some base colors on. Time to grind these dudes out.

      Delete
  2. That's some wonderful-looking minis you've got there, Sean. Lots of character to them for sure!! I'd break and pin myself as I always regret doing anything else these days. Good luck with whatever you chose :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric. My gut is to pin, but the overwhelming comment is to try and wick glue into the crack. I'm going to try wicking.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'm impressed you managed to crack a mini that badly in the torso without damaging him elsewhere! Surely super glue would be enough in this case? It's not an area likely to be bashed about in general use and there is plenty of surface area for the glue to adhere to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, yeah I tend to drop damaged minis the most. I vaguely remember knocking him off the desk, but no visible damage at first. I actually didn't see the crack first. I felt the wobble in his upper torso as I was slopping goo on the base. I've got a few pinpoint nozzles and a capillary tube so I should be able to flood that gap.

      Delete
  4. Like Michael, I'm puzzled at how a figure has cracked around the middle. Was it originally a 2-part model? Forcing some glue into the crack would seem to be enough to fix it though (capillary action is your friend :-) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, I believe it is an original citadel one piece figure. Perhaps the metal has become overly brittle. I'm going to make full use of capillary action.

      Delete
  5. Sean, I think you have the right of it to batch prep for the army challenge. Funny how long the 'trivial' bits (prepping, gluing, basing, photographing) take in the grand scheme of things. After all that, who has the energy to actually paint?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like old lead taking a tumble. Poor thing. Pinning is best solution, but also the most work intensive and if you can keep him safe from future trips to the floor, gluing should work I think.

    Lots of very cool sculpts here, but wow, that's a lot of stuff to get painted. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete