Followers

Friday, June 17, 2016

Puttypalooza - filling gaps on models

Hi All,

Ok so in the past I haven't really shown build logs, but I'm trying to use the blog as a project notebook more. So here goes.


So I started with the idea that I was going to make a 50/50 mix of Greenstuff and Milliput.


Yellow and Blue make Green, Yellow and Brown (I think it's supposed to be Grey) make Yellow.


Mix them together for a light Green. You may have noticed that I coat the surfaces of stuff that comes into contact with the putty with Vaseline to keep it from sticking.


I did the Chaos warriors first.mostly just the torso joins and hiding the gaps in the axe handle repair. I also used it to fill in gaps in the bases as i always have excess putty left when I do these things.


Next I got to work on the joins on the Cthulhu. I probably should have started with him. As I got to the wings and arms the lack of stickiness of the putty began to be a problem. I think I had been working for about an hour and a half and it was curing too much. I think part of the problem was that I had used a roller to squash my putty ball into a very thin pancake. This greatly increased the surface area and I think effectively reduced the work time. So only flatten what you absolutely need to.


Hmm, I'm not exactly sure what I was trying to show you here. This is where I gave up and threw out the remaining bit of putty as it had become very plastic.


After a discussion with some facebook friends I started using some Tamiya putty with a couple of "hitech" tools. They both had their uses but I was finding them inadequate in some situations.


I then remembered that i had a whole set of cheap sculpting tools that I never use. Apart from two or three favorites that is.


I ended up using these two plus my old palette knife. I find Tamiya pretty hard to work with, but you can sand it. I have some Squadron putty lying around somewhere. I'll give that a try some other time.

In hindsight I would say it would be better to glue on and putty each part individually working up from tail to head. I think it would have been a little easier to do.

Thanks for sitting through my ugly cell phone pictures. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on Photography for this.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that Cthulhu really is a beast, just looking at the size of hime compared to the Chaos Knights in the background. Never considered combining greenstuff and milliput before though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael. It was recommended to me awhile back. It is less sticky than plain greenstuff. This makes it a little easier to work with.

      Delete
  2. I'm quite lucky, I've only had to use Green Stuff once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray. It's one of those things that gets easier with practice.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...