Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Potion Pilferers (Part 2): The Death of Sir Chicken.

Spoiler Alert!

If you missed any of the previous adventures of Sir Chicken you can find them at Potion Pilferers (Part1) and The Quest for the King's Treasure.

On with our tale of high adventure!








I was able to bring my son in for some dice rolling. He seemed to like it better when the fate of our heroes did not rest on his decision making. I ended up finishing it out by myself, as it had taken up space on the table for too long and was in peril of being subsumed by all the end of year stuff the kids are bringing home from school.

I resisted the temptation to use the heroic combat rule half way through, even after rolling 20 - 1 twice in one combat. In the future I will use the rule. Magic has me stumped, while it was quite useful a couple of times, Marlin was quickly turned into a liability once he had lost half his hits and half his spells. Bad luck of the draw found him with unusable spells for several turns. I'll have to chat with Stephen about the design philosophy before I totally scrap it. I feel like magic is more dangerous to the caster than it is to the opponent.

Although it was a bummer to see Sir Chicken fall, I'm going to use it as an opportunity to explore he men at arms rules, maybe even a squire. I think the evil magician, emboldened by our heroes inability to recover all the potions, may kidnap the King's daughter. Branwen the Fair.

As you can see I started to dig deep for different terms for chopping. This was a good resource, but don't click on it if you don't like sites with lots of ads.

Off to clear the table for Tereken vs. Altengard with more unfinished figures. More on that another time.

6 comments:

  1. Oh the tension of a viscous dungeon batrep!!! I will weep tears for Sir Chicken! LOL Well done. You even have my greater respect for taking the time to do this with Comic Life 3....;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Airborne. I missed out on 1 and 2 so didn't really have a choice. I'd be curious to see the difference. Sir Chicken is dead, long live Sir Chicken!

      Delete
  2. Long live Sir Chicken, indeed!

    Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's really useful to have such detailed feedback for playtesting. The consensus does seem to be that I've got the risk/reward balance for magic shifted too far towards the risk. I do have two variations on the current spellcasting rules I'd love to run by you via email at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rab, thanks. I just wish I had gotten to playing sooner. I think it's a fun little system and I'd be happy to take a look at your modifications of the magic system. I need to fill out your feed back form and send it to you.

      Delete
  3. Nooo! Not Sir Chicken! Oh, the horror!

    That Marlin is a bit of a waste of space, isn't he :-) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh. Yes the loss of Sir Chicken was sad, but in retrospect he was carried by Sir Waffles for most of the duos career. Marlin did have two effective blast spells and did a fair amount of healing. But once he had the catastrophic spell failure he was effectively finished. Bad luck of the draw saw him with unusable spells and he just sat and watched the combat.

      Delete