Tuesday, May 26, 2015

American Flagg & X-Wing

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend. We were busy but mostly around the house all weekend.

One of the things I did was dig deep in the memory banks to relocate American Flagg by Howard Chaykin. It occurs to me that this could be another dystopian future setting to recreate with miniatures.Although I'm not sure where to find the very 80's shoulder pad aesthetic.


Of course Vol 2 arrived before Vol 1, so I'm going to have to wait to get reading. 

In the boy playing games news, my little one broke out X-wing and had three or four rousing games. We then went out and bought the YT - 2400 with a Barnes & Noble 20% off coupon. I was shooting for the Millenium Falcon, but they didn't have one.


I just gave him some bare bones of fire arcs and how to read the dice and use the measuring sticks. He then set up all the ships and had fun. I thought that letting him enjoy the game was better than trying to play "by the rules". It would be nice to play together, but this way worked a lot better than the last few times we played. Hopefully we can build upon success and get in a game together.

I'm pretty deep into the Talomir battle, but I ran down the battery in the camera. We should have it wrapped up soon.

I also had a chat with Stevo and we may be inspiring each other to paint. It's probably more like him holding me accountable for painting my Orc army for Oldhammer USA. Of course I have to chat with him some more about it. But I'm putting it out there to hold my feet to the fire a little.

6 comments:

  1. American Flagg was a great series. I remember the artwork the most, but the sarcasm was as close to UK works like Judge Dreddd that you'd find on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TB, I think I only ever read one American Flagg comic back when they first came out but it stuck with me. There are a lot of similarities with Dredd but some key differences. I just thought it might be an interesting project to try and model some of the characters.I just need to reacquaint myself with them.

      Delete
  2. X-Wing seems to be very popular; I keep wondering if I should try it...

    I've not heard of Flagg before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, X-Wing is very addicting and the models are not cheap. An individual fighter retails for about $15 and the larger ships $30. Some people have talked of buying multiple game box sets because you get two TIE's and one X-wing for less than buying more individually. American Flagg is pretty obscure, I'd only read one issue back in the 80's but it stuck with me.

      Delete
  3. I got the core set and wave I ships from X-Wing recently. Partly because of the models that look really nice, and partly because of the rules: I think FFG did a good job of streamlining starfighter combat. I agree it's a pricey game, now I'm trying to convince myself that these seven ships I have are enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ricardo, we've only played the basic rules but they are good. We only have 8 ships now, while it is more than enough for the 36" square table I do want more. The ships are very nice and addicting.

      Delete