Saturday, October 25, 2014

Update and Goblinquest

As I may have alluded in the last post, I seem to be busy with kid activities of late. Today is another Flag Football game followed by two separate kid Halloween parties. This coupled with working out and the final week of my fat cutting program are combining to make me feel quite harried and downright cranky.

I haven't cut as much fat as last year, I'm only down to 12% as of last weigh in, but I seem to be gaining muscle and maintaining body weight. For some reason I've been obsessed with getting rid of my beer gut the last few years and, let me tell you, it's been tough. Who knew how hard it would be to roll back the lethargy and poor food choices of my 20's and 30's?

Now onto more hobby related stuff.

My son's school art project
I wanted to show you my son's art project from school because it blew me away. Aside from just liking it I was impressed when he told me how it was 3D and how he used yellow and purple to show the moonlight shining on the pumpkins. So perspective and object source lighting. I don't think I ever thought of such things at 8 years old. Credit to the Art teacher at school.

I also got super excited about Goblinquest, a game designed by Rab over at Rab's Geekly Digest. He says that the current version of the rules has been tweaked from those posted, but they seemed exciting and something I read through in a few minutes. I of course then got bogged down in trying to make the dungeon tiles from another set I already had. After a couple of hours I got it to work, but only had two sections. So I decided this morning to go ahead and buy the Inked adventures set that Rab had used. They are on sale at Drivethru RPG right now.

I'm going to try to get in some games this weekend and into next week. Not all the figures may be fully painted, but I'm going to try.

I have been spottily painting and still need to push myself to finish some figures. I should have been painting instead of dungeon finagling last night.

18 comments:

  1. Dungeon building is addictive, I warn you! Before you know it you'll be building up a folder of images of crumbling castle corridors and stairwells, looking up caving maps, considering your workplace as floorplans....

    I hope Goblinquest hits the spot for you and your kids - I'll be keeping an eye out for your report! If any of it doesn't make sense, let me know. I strongly suggest using fixed movement, rather than dicing for it if that's not already been updated in the set you downloaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rab, thanks. The rules I found say DRAFT in big red letters across the cover. I bought the basic set, crypt and outdoors as well as all the free add ons I could find. All for $18, a pretty good deal. We may find that a necromancer or liche is behind this nefarious plot (I have a lot of undead plastics). We'll use fixed movement. I love the design of it by the way captures the fun and feel very well.

      Delete
  2. Excellent work by the young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger. My kids have surprised me from time to time with their art. I am not very artistic by nature and my wife can create things but doesn't do it very often.

      Delete
  3. What a superb piece of artwork! The highlights really make it and I feel you pain with trying to lose the beer belly, trying to do the same myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Just keep trying. I've held to my resolve for the most part, but sometimes I just want a beer. In the final push it's no carbohydrate at all, not even brown rice. After next Saturday morning I'm going to have a few pints as a reward.

      Delete
  4. You mean the poor food choices I'm making now will come back to haunt me!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven. Maybe, maybe not. I've always been a slight/ skinny person. The most I ever weighed in my life was 182Lbs. Unfortunately it seems that any weight I gained over my prime athletic form of about 140, was all fat. It was coincidentally almost all around the belly. I am not trying to weigh a certain amount, although I would prefer to be at 170 or above. I have been obsessed about body composition and lowering my Fat %. I've gotten to 10% a couple of times, but haven't held onto it for more than a few months. I'm hoping I can remain injury free after this program.

      Delete
  5. A great piece of art by the youngster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an excellent picture for an eight year old. I work with kids and see a lot of "art" work, and that is very good. As for fat loss, I've found the raw chicken diet to be particularly effective. It may cause some side effects though.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Ah yes the eat like a coyote diet. Seriously though my trainer was cutting weight for a competition one time and told how he was preparing raw salmon in a blender. Sounds horrible.

      Delete
    2. Had he never heard of sushi?!

      Delete
    3. He was just trying to maximize his dollars. As to why he had to blend it, who knows?

      Delete
  7. Nice pumpkins!

    Hmm, I hadn't heard about Goblinquest before. Not that I really need more distractions :-) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hugh, thanks. The nice thing about goblinquest is that it is pretty straight forward and not too rules heavy. I have all i need for the first dungeon printed out. Just need to gather the figures together and come to a decision about whether or not painting or playing is the priority.

      Delete
    2. If you try it our, Colgar6, do let me know how you find it.

      Delete