Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Soft Apocalypse

Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh
 I have been on something of a post apocalypse kick lately, watching Blood of Heroes, The Book of Eli and the Road. This last Sunday while in LA I picked up this book and finished it this morning. I would have finished it sooner, but I ran out of light on the drive home and had to force myself to go to bed last night so I could get 5 hours of sleep.

 The story is very engaging and takes you along with Jasper as he tries to survive in the world slowly falling apart. It starts in 2023 and jumps varying amounts of time to the conclusion in 2033. There is a little bit of sci fi future stuff, but mostly it seems very current. The best way I can describe it is sort of like the prequel to Mad Max. Society is still functioning but there is 40% unemployment and gangs and tribes of the dispossessed.

 It seems like a great atmosphere to game. You're just trying to survive. Police, Fireman (which are now just another armed gang), thugs, Jumpy-Jumps (some kind of anarchistic group that wear random uniforms [Priest, Mailman, Milkman etc] and wantonly kill, Civil Defense and Army are all a potential threat. Not to mention being killed by people who think you are trying to rob them or bring disease to there community.

  Did I forget to mention eco-terrorists and designer viruses like Polio-X and flesh eating bacteria? Any way it seems like Two Hour Wargames would fit the bill nicely, perhaps the Zombie titles have all of those various ingredients in them already. Take out the zombies and you have it.

Anyhow here's the link to amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Apocalypse-Will-McIntosh/dp/159780276X

and to a more coherent review: http://escapepod.org/2011/03/30/book-review-soft-apocalypse-by-will-mcintosh/

I liked it, but then I also liked the Conan movie.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun read, and a great background to a Post-Apoc skirmish game and campaign!

    ReplyDelete