Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Boardgaming

Hi All,

One of the side effects of the covid-19 stay at home guidelines is that we've been playing a lot more games as a family.

It is also coinciding with a class my son is finishing at school called Game On!

He is assigned to play a few games each week and then write a review of sorts about them. This week is strategy week.

Here are a few of the games we've played over the last few weeks.



I played it once back in the day but never owned a copy until the re-release a few years ago. I never thought my wife and daughter would play, but I sold them on it as they would be able to gang up on me after I beat them at Risk earlier in the month. They beat me in about 6 turns. I think I yelled "Wolverines!" at least once.



I've only played this a couple of times before and never played the original. It's pretty fun. I think my son enjoyed this one because he legit beat me as the Union.



I've probably had this game since 1984 and I'm hard pressed to remember if I actually ever played this game with anybody before. I played it by myself quite a bit. My son especially likes the plastic coins.

Anybody else breaking out some classics?

Thanks for looking.

6 comments:

  1. I've yet to play many games with the family since lockdown - been too busy painting the house, painting minis and doing all the cooking! We'll get round to it one day I'm sure. Looks like another few more games to add the wants list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thansants, yes the quarantine has seen "free" time in short supply. I am using this opportunity to get some games played that normally might not get a second look. We're trying to convince the ladies of the house that they are fun. The main trick is to make sure that everyone gets a pick and that you soldier on through the games that you don't really like to get to the ones that you do.

      Delete
  2. 1986 version of 'Aliens'. Loving it!
    The kids are big into 'Ultramarine' which was released in the 80's under licence to MB games/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Riot, those sound great. Not familiar with either game. I'll have to look them up.

      Delete
  3. We used the WFH time to play games too. We did a lot more Risk and Settlers of Catan though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cedric. We played the one game of Risk and then on to these others. Now that the kids are doing school over the internet we haven't had as much time for games. Funnily enough, I've never played Catan. I've always heard good things about it though.

      Delete