Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Secure and Hold Carthag - A Star Breach battle report

Hi All,

  Things have not been great on the hobby front, but rather than bore you with the details I've just stopped posting unless I have something positive/finished to share.

  One such thing is the battle report for a game of Star Breach we played on Leap Day at a local game store in the Metro Phoenix area. We had a good time and met some of the other other local guys.

  Thanks to Brendan Carrion for setting up another meetup. We're hoping to be out at Arizona Game fair later this month, but are playing things by ear due to this Corona Virus thing.

Anyway, here's the game.











  Aidan and I tag teamed this game and, as can be seen from the results, had a swath of horrible rolls right through the middle of the game. Still it was good to finally get a game in. I also finally got the list editor for Star Breach working in Battle Scribe. I'll detail that in a subsequent post. If I'd thought about it, I would have posted about that sooner.

  It may be time to hang up the old IG, they have died spectacularly in just about every game I've fielded them in. We shall see. I feel the need for a big, stompy robot. I like Star Breach, but I'll have to think on a better way to track hits. The dials are a way to do that, but they look clunky next to 28mm figures in my opinion. The same with the D10's. Also a lot of modifiers to try and remember, but I think that will go better with more games under our belt.

Thanks for looking.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great write up! Hopefully we can throw down another game in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MikeM, no problem. It was a good game. I too am looking forward to the next meet up.

      Delete
  2. Dude awesome comic report! Glad to see you getting back at it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks airborne, it took awhile to swag up the photos but it got there in the end.

      Delete
  3. I love this style of batreps. More, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Skully. I'm trying to get more games in. I will definitely post them as I get them.

      Delete
  4. yeah dude your program does cool stuff with those pics! nice report that looked like a fun game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blue. Most of the panels are done in photoshop now. I add all the effects and then convert them to comic in that. Comic Life 3 lets me format it and add in all the text, text boxes, speech bubbles and lettering.

      Delete
  5. Nice write-up, the scenery looks especially smashing. Minibits does some nice mini d6's and frames that you could put onto bases as markers? https://minibits.net/dice-frames-hit-markers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated DaveB. I'll take a look at minibits. I think the magnetic number wheels get the job done, just doesn't look as nice for the comic. I suppose I could cut that sort of stuff out in Photoshop, but I'm not sure the time spent would be worth it.

      Delete
    2. That totally doesn't sound like time worth spending. With the dice frames you could make scatter terrain like objects (litter, barrels, signs, etc) with a mini d6 on it. It should blend in on the photos but it lives close to the fig for marking....
      I know litko has some for small d8's, I imagine d10's would be possible too. I think the litko frames are larger acrylic pieces though....

      Delete
    3. Good ideas Dave B. I did a search and you can buy 5mm and 10mm polyhedral dice. I'm also investigating base rings. I think that might be another solution. The secondary base might be a thing as well, since I refuse to rebase.

      Delete
  6. I like a battle report set in the Dune universe. The terrain looks spot on. Too bad the Atreides lost, they were my preferred army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cedric, thanks. The terrain at the store was really good. The organizer did a great job of setting up the tables. Atreides lost because I'm bad at games. But we had fun.

      Delete
  7. Smashing Report!
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Major. I'm hoping to get some more in once I can get some terrain in order. Too many half started, not even started projects.

      Delete