Monday, March 27, 2017

Dormur finished

Hi All,

I finished the Reaper 25th Anniversary figure from February, 01601 sculpted by Julie Guthrie. The photos are more quick snaps with my cellphone. The lighting was not great. I need to tidy me hobby area so that I can set up for more studio quality shots. The list of figures that need a re-shoot is growing.


Here he is finished, except for adding the pupils.


I mostly don't do pupils, but when I do I use this XS Faber-Castell PITT artist pen. I believe the tip is 0.2mm. I bought mine at the JoAnn's craft store.


Trying to show you the eyes.


A grainy close up, but you can see the eyes. Argh, I see paint overage and missed spots I didn't catch.

This was my entry for the March painting competition at the LGS, I'm leaving out the F for friendly because I'm not really getting the feels from this competition. I was just trying to get more involved in the game store and using the comp as a means to do so. When I dropped off my figure I asked the guy if the next figure was available and what it was.  wanted to know because I'm trying to collect all the 25th Anniversary figures and I only have a week lefft to purchase the next one if I want it. The guy was gruff and said no it's not available and I wouldn't tell you what it was if I knew. I said I wasn't trying to gain an unfair advantage, but didn't elaborate on why I wanted to know.

Honestly I've tried to be happy go lucky about this competition and step up to painting outside my comfort zone, be it choice of subject or rules for how to paint the figure. But if you're going to treat me like I'm an asshole I can save myself the 40-50 minute round trip to your store and just buy everything I need online. Have a nice day.

The rules, which I found out on a spur of the moment trip to the store and by coming across a random comment in my facebook feed, were no basing and only 8 colors. Some people did a really interesting job with that. I probably should have taken a picture but I forgot to.


These were my 8 colors, the illegible one is Reaper Walnut Brown 09136. The purple was craft paint. I used one metallic (Tarnished Brass) and ended up using the intense brown because I just couldn't get a different brown I liked from the three I was already using.

Anyway, I'll tell you more about upcoming plans in my next post.

9 comments:

  1. Absolutely superb, you've really done this one proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew, I gave it the old college try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's not a good way to keep customers. -__- I hate that shitty type of attitude far too prevalent in gaming stores.

    This wizard looks super cool mate. I like the blue - it contrasts really well with the otherwise dour browns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dai, I'll go over there to pick up my figure and maybe I'd go to have a game with someone if we schedule it, but I'm done trying to go there for anything else. I was hoping to find a place to get more people into Oldhammer, maybe even try to do an event, but screw it.

      Delete
  4. Really cool magician! Reminds me of the Grey Wizards, illusionists and trickters. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xathrodox86, I'm glad you like him. I am pleased overall, closeup photography always shows things our eyes tend to ignore.

      Delete