Saturday, July 2, 2016

Paint Table Saturday 139 - Finished Chaos Warriors and starting Cthulhu

Hi All,

Just a quick update on this holiday weekend. Hope you're having a good one.

Earlier this week, Thursday night, I finished up those five chaos warriors for the Herohammer International facebook group.


I was trying to blend up the Green, Red and Pruple warriors. I thik the time spent to results ratio is not good but they've been sitting unpainted for decades, so I'l take it.

The Champion of Tzeentch in the middle I bought from Blue sometime last year. I was trying to build up yellow from orange. It mostly looks orange and not super smooth. He came out mostly how I envisioned but i ran out of time to highlight his horns. The Marauder guy on the extreme left was a repair and repaint of a miniature I gave my brother back in the day which he returned to me when I got back into the hobby.


This is what he looked like when I got him. I tried to pay an homage to the original paint scheme. Again, time was a factor, so I didn't get to work as many layers for his "black" armor. I also thought I had a good plan for the red chainmail, but it didn't quite work. Overall I think I captured the idea. The color palette is similar without being the same.

Today I have been working on that big honking Cthulhu.


I'm trying to build up tans and browns to give it a more realistic Octopus color scheme.

Hoping to get this guy done this weekend since The Bazaar of Crooked Wonders extended the June "Big Things" comp one more week.

I'll leave you with a link to an interview that Airbornegrove26 did with Nigel Stillman. Great stuff if you really want to know where Warhammer came from. Read it here.

Happy painting.

11 comments:

  1. I'm liking the work on those chaos! Also that Cthulhu is enormous...get it done! LOL Thanks for the plug as well...we got to spread Stillmania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Airborne, I'm pushing to get Cthulhu done this weekend as I have a ton of stuff to do this week to get ready for Brian's thing. I need to reread the tenets of Stillmanism. I also need to work on my list building. I was glad to read that he thought unit restriction were a bad idea.

      Delete
  2. All coming along very nicely...Cthulhu, in particular, already looks mighty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. The sculpt really speaks for itself. I'm trying not to bung it up too bad with my paint job.

      Delete
  3. Great brushwork Sean and nice rescue of that warrior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dGG, they could have been better but they also could have been worse. I'm glad you like the fix. I'll need to figure out a better way to do colored metallic armor. Perhaps reaper Pearl White with color mixed in is the way to go.

      Delete
  4. Awesome work Sean. That Cthulhu is awesome. He'd look perfect next to some 6mm figures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, he's turning out to be a bit of a bear but I'm making headway. I still have your Curtgeld to paint :( but at least they're primed. I'm trying to work out how to get them to you before the next challenge starts. It's really just time management.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry about it Sean. Whenever works best for you. :)

      Delete