Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Taking the RPG plunge

Since I am still working on that battle report I'll tell you what else I've been doing.

I've decided to start role playing again and am jumping into a system that I have never played before, Call of Cthulhu. Listening to the Miskatonic University Podcast and Skype of Cthulhu Podcast, and then discussing it with my brother, we have decided to try doing some distance gaming. This will have the added bonus of us staying in touch a little better as we both tend to get sucked into the daily grind and don't talk that much.

We agreed that we would try the quick start rules and sample adventure for Call of Cthulhu 6th edition. I of course jumped the gun and also bought PDFs of Call of Cthulhu 6th ed, 1920's Investigators Companion and the Age of Cthulhu scenrio "Death in Luxor". Chaosium is having a sale on Drivethru RPG right now.

I can't remember the last time or game that I played, but it was before the end of highshcool, so probably 1985 or 86. I'm trying to decide if I should record our sessions, I will of course share the general results with you all and let you know how distance gaming works out for us.

Who knows? Perhaps this could lead to distance table top games?

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy CoC, I've played since the first edition in the 80's
    "Death in Luxor", iirc is not one of the best adventures around, there are many other good (free) ones to be found on the net too as well as the commercial offerings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zabadak. Bummer about Age of Luxor. I just finished listening to Dream of Japan on skype of Cthulhu and wanted to give the Age of Cthulhu stuff a try. I saw that Yog-Sothoth dot com has those free adventures. We will definitely be trying those as well.

      Delete