Followers

Friday, March 14, 2014

Look at me, another entry for the challenge.

I'm increasing my output, finally, but it's too little too late to reach my goal. Any how here's what I wrote to Curt.

I present to you Lord De La Warre of Treyine and his men. To create some interest in my red and white theme I broke it up into solid red, half red and white and quartered red and white. I figured that this would represent each of the knights and their retinues. As with the previous entry these are a mixture of Zvezda English Infantry of the 100 Years War, Miniart German Knights, Airfix Robin Hood and Strelets Military Order Warriors. They are all 1/72 (20mm) scale plastics.


All the same painting techniques, but this time only Vallejo matte varnish at the end. I feel like it dulled the metal a tad too much and it almost looks like NMM. Still flailing around, but why change how I work now. I'm just glad to get another batch done. It only took me the whole competition to do it.



There is nothing particularly special about the two footmen, I just hid them on the work bench and found them after I'd photographed the main group.


You can see the entry and a few more pictures on Curt's blog here.

I've painted myself into a corner, in as much as I have a lot of figures left to do for the final themed round plus my entry figure. Better get started.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice. I do like that you've used a somewhat muted red, rather than a brilliant scarlet. In my view that's much more appropriate for a medieval technology - no modern bright chemical pigments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh, I like the red too. It is called Red Iron Oxide and is made by Delta Ceramcoat. The washes and matte varnish also help mute things a lot.

      Delete
    2. Hah, I thought that I recognised it. I use that colour a lot myself :-) .

      Delete
    3. Great minds and all that :).

      Delete
  2. Excellent work, beautiful units, love the shields, so realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I think the fact that I have trouble painting straight lines adds to the realism. I feel like medieval shield painters weren't super precise.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, high praise indeed.

      Delete
  4. Great work Sean! I like these guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rodger, I'm happy to return the favor as I always enjoy looking at what you post.

      Delete
  5. Good stuff, Sean. They're a cruel looking lot. I wouldn't want to run into those guys on a battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prufrock, I need to get them on the battlefield today.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...