From time to time I like to think out loud and talk about my adventures in blogging and try to share tips and information that I find useful about the process. I have my Masters in The Obvious, so some of this might be a little duh for some of you.
In any event I also like to record some of my findings and then look back to see how things worked.
I know I've posted this before.
Since going back to simple template my daily page views have suffered.
I now surge at 100+ and drop down to 50 or so the second day. I realized a while back that I have about a two day cycle on my blog for views, after that they go in the toilet.
I'll have to wait and see what my blog normalizes to for the month of August, because the first half of July was still dynamic.
The first pike starts in January 2013 as I switched to Dynamic views, but there was already a significant trend up in December. July was roughly 1000 page views over that, so we'll see.
I think this should be abolished from all blogs. The vast majority of these are spam. I subscribe to all of the posts I comment on and some of the anonymous comments can be quite tedious. I seriously think that I can count on one hand the number of non spam comments I have read. I like adverts for penis pills, steroids and asian SEO sites as much as the next guy, but get a fucking google account if you want to post on a blog.
I have been using Feedly since before Google Reader gave up the ghost. Now that Reader is gone the blogs I follow do not update to Feedly and their tutorials or email requests for help offer no solution. Perhaps I'm going to have to go back in and manually enter the ever expanding number of blogs I read since Readers demise a few short months ago. I thought maybe Old Reader might be the solution, but all these guys say to Import from your reader account, fat lot of good that does me. So if you have any tips I'd love to hear them. I'll be sure to share what I find out.
This last one falls under the category of duh, but I'll share it here anyway because it was something I had never really done before and it was bugging the crap out of me. I wanted to change the background of my blog. If you'll note I used the hand drawn map of my old Mighty Empires campaign. Now this file is about 4MB and you need to get it down to 300K. Normally I just scale things down, but I needed it big and 300K or less. Cutting it down to 1800 x 1600 only brought it down to 2MB or there abouts. So changing the image mode from RGB to Indexed and then adjusting the Quality slider with the preview checked to show final file size. Obvious perhaps, but I had never done it in about 6 years of using this program.
So there you have it.
More Oldhammer and my current folly with painting up 1/72 plastics for Rally Round the King in the near future.