Sunday, April 28, 2013

What is best in life?


Crushing your wife at Munchkin Conan and hearing her lamentation!

We played another game yesterday, just my wife, son and I. My daughter was busy watching tv or something. This game was at my wife's insistence.

The boy actually won the game, and I was in last place and willing to leave it there. But no! Someone had to beat me. So we continued play. As we both got up in levels I came up against a high level monster. My wife had a card in her hand that gave it +10. I was down by 5 and then I saw it. I had a +3, one use only item and noticed that the monster gave an additional +2 to one use items. That coupled with the fact that I was the warrior class and won all ties allowed me to win the encounter and beat her.

Here is a link to a youtube video of Wil Wheaton playing a game with Steve Jackson that goes over the rules pretty well. It's a little long at 29 minutes.


And Dale of Dales Wargames turned me on to Munchkin Land, some great podcasts of Munchkin game play. Always interesting and funny.

I've been meaning to post here but actually have so much to post about I'm a little bit paralyzed by the amount of stuff.

I've gotten in a bunch more figures but am concerned that I photograph them right, I don't want to hurry and give you a bunch of crappy pictures with a good camera, like I did with the BUM stuff.

I'm finally sorting myself out in the Loa campaign so that should be heating up again and I think I have some inspiration for painting in doing some figures from the Caesar Adventurer set. Hopefully I can get my act together this week.

I've been cleared to start exercising a little and it has been killing me. My abs are doing okay but it feels more like 2 years than 2 months since I've had a proper workout. I ran 1.25 miles today but it felt slow and heavy. I also have been having weird anxiety dreams the last few nights and actually woke up this morning thinking it was Monday. All this from a guy who doesn't have a job.

So I've gone off my diet a bit and am relaxing with a little wine and this update to you my friends. Hope all is well with you and filled with fun toys and games.

20 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun, fun game. Wheaton is so funny and cool in the video. Good luck with getting back in shape, it looks like you're on your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is fun and my wife was the one who wanted to play. As far as the exercise goes I just have to put aside my ego and what I think I was capable of and listen to my body. I've gotten very good at ignoring pain to my own detriment.

      Delete
  2. I hope you really rubbed it in that you won!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She thought that raising my arms overhead and bellowing Yes! was a bit overdone.

      Delete
  3. Nothing much better than beating the missus and getting away with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And doubly so as her whole stated purpose for the game was to make me lose.

      Delete
  4. The wife and I play Munchkin quest and it is alot of fun except she always beats me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can play more and get my daughter back in the mix. It seems that she is not very interested in it.

      Delete
  5. Ah the sweet smell of success, there is nothing better than snatching victory from the jaws of defeat and watching the opposition crumble as they realise what has just happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and then pretending that it was actually my great skill at the game rather than blind luck.

      Delete
  6. Had to laugh out loud about the card play. It is interesting what sticks in your mind. Listening through Munchkin Land a second time, mostly as I understand it more and listening for "tips". (Sometimes I am too serious a gamer, even when the game is not meant to be serious.)

    Have you put in a suggestion for a Munchkin combo on the Munchkin Land web site? I am not sure if they have closed down the contest or not, but they haven't announced, last time I checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rob seems to be the most devious of the group. I haven't put any suggestions up yet. I started from the beginning and am only at Munchkin Impossible which is #14.

      Delete
  7. Haha great. My missus and I have played the classic Munchkin lots and lots of times. Always funny to see how peolple group up to beat the most powerful player. Good that your missus is a good sportsman. Nothing worse to get into a fight because of a game :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, nothing is worse. I think she took in stride. It was just funny because she was ahead of me after my son won and just wanted to beat me herself. Careful what you wish for I guess.

      Delete
  8. The clue is on the cover of the box ... "Stab Your Buddy" :O)

    Kind regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. One of the draw backs we have is that we have to take it easy on my son. Unlike me he can't stand to lose. I have lost the vast majority of games I have played so it doesn't bother me too much.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun game. Might have to look out for it. And good luck with the exercise: I've fallen off the wagon a bit, and need to get back on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun game and there are a lot of themes to choose from. Also a lot of puns and corny jokes. I was definitely over training for the last year or so, so I paid the price. Getting back to it has been very difficult, but it's mostly ego. I have to limit myself so that I can rebuild. I've already proven that I will play hurt. I don't need to do that any more.

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure if this was the same channel, but wasn't there an episode with Day[9] AND Imahara from Mythbusters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I'll have to check that one.

      Delete