Sunday, August 19, 2012

The 20 questions post

So here are my answers to the 20 questions, I wonder how different they are from my answers to a previous one of these Q & A's. (I'm also not sure why the formatting has gone all weird.)
1.        Favourite Wargaming period and why?
       Fantasy, but that's not really a period. I'd have to say of late my leaning is towards Dark Age, particularly the Viking Age.

2.       Next period, money no object?
       18th century/ SYW imagination and 18th century colonial have recently caught my interest. Of course I still have Sci Fi, WW2, Zombie Apocalypse, Post Apocalypse, Ancients etc in the wings.
3.       Favourite 5 films?
       Unforgiven,  Blade Runner, The Empire Strikes Back, Sanjuro/Yojimbo (because they are conflated in my mind), Repo Man

4.       Favourite 5 TV series?
       The Walking Dead, The Killing, MASH, Ken Burn's Civil War, I Claudius
5.       Favourite book and author?
       Too hard to name only one. Tolkein (although I don't have the patience to read through the songs anymore), Robert Graves (I Claudius, Count Belisarius), R.E. Howard (Conan canon) and when I was a kid I loved Andre Norton.
6.       Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
       I still love Alexander the Great, spent hours reading about him as a kid.
7.       Favourite Wargames rules?
       Tough one. Probably have to be Squad Leader, because that is what I played the most. Only dabbled in Warhammer. Right now I'm a big fan of Two Hour Wargames, but I haven't settled on a favorite from them yet.
8.       Favourite Sport and team?
       American Football (like there's really any other kind ;) ) San Francisco 49ers, since about 1979.
9.       If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
      Probably back to highschool, suck it up and graduate rather than tell them to @#%! off and get my GED.
10.   Last meal on Death Row?
       I'm not really a food guy but a ribeye steak, roasted vegetables and new potatoes with garlic and a few martinis followed by a chocolate cheesecake and some cognac and cigars.
11.    Fantasy relationship and why?
       I don't spend a lot of time thinking about this kind of stuff, but since we're talking fantasy it would have to be three girlfriends like "Our Man Flint" or any of the Flint movies. I was going to say Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher just to bug Ray.


12.   If your life were a movie, who would play you?
       Either David Beckham or that kid who played McLovin in Superbad.


13.   Favourite Comic  Superhero?
       I always identified with Spider Man. He was a dorky kid who had mutant powers but also some super geek inventing ability. And he kicked ass.
14.   Favourite Military quote?
      Well I was going to quote one I read in Fiasco, the book by Thomas Ricks, but I can't find my copy of the book or remember the General's name. So the one I can remember is "The British Navy has but three traditions. Rum, Buggery and the Lash." - Purportedly said by Churchill but he claimed he never said it, only wished he had.
15.   Historical destination to visit?
       I would probably like to visit the Civil War battle fields where my ancestors fought so Bull Run and Gettysburg in the East, Shiloh and Corinth in the West.
16.   Biggest Wargaming regret?
       Not buying Space Hulk or Blood Bowl back in the 90's when I was making good money and didn't have anyone to tell me how to spend it.
17.   Favourite Fantasy job?
       Artist or Photographer.
18.   Favourite Song, Top 5?
       Anthem - Agnostic Front, Manimal - The Germs, Ace of Spades - Motorhead, Arthur McBride - Planxty, Pimp's Ballad from Three Penny Opera - (The Raul Julia recording) Kurt Weill.
19.   Favourite Wargaming Moment?
      My return to a wargaming con in Lebanon, PA in 1991 (I think). It was an ASL tournament and in the previous one I had lost every game. Studied up played some games and went back for the next one. Beat this one guy who had beat me the last time, he packed up and went home after that.
20.   The miserable Git question, what upsets you?
       Mother@#$!ing software updates that @#$! up your @#$!ing computer. White supremacists. Religious Fundamentalism of any kind. Rules lawyers/ power gamers who try to loophole or break rules or just find some stupid army composition that wins tournaments but would make absolutely no sense. I could go on but I'd probably have an aneurism.

I'm still futzing around with the computer. It works but freezes up at odd times and crashes when I try various things. I've been cleaning the registry and running virus and spyware scans. So far nothing has done the trick.

3 comments:

  1. "when I was making good money and didn't have anyone to tell me how to spend it." Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers Sean, Maggie bleedin' Thatcher, what a f-ing bitch! It did and does! Funny, I always imagined you as a McLovin! he he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers Sean except for 13, can't stand the web slinging bastard and kudos for upsetting Ray!

    ReplyDelete